Private tutoring with only four weeks to go?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Private tutoring with only four weeks to go?

by Has » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:02 am
Hi Folks

I have four weeks before my test and wondering if getting private tutoring worthwhile?

I am currently scoring all over the place from low 500s to low 600s. And, I would like to score 700+, thus a 100+ point jump. I have been told, with four weeks to go a private tutor will not add much value (as time scales too tight), and that, I am better of prepping myself and taking the test, with a view that, if it does not work out, I will then take up a prep course, which, comes with some private tutoring too. – This will be spread over 9 to 12 weeks.

However, I am familiar with the fundamentals and have been through several books, including OG (panning to go through it again – more thoroughly), furthermore, I was not exclusively focused on my GMAT. Previously, I have been studying while working, and as a management consultant it has not been easy, particularly with all the travel involved, however, I know have four precious weeks off from work to do nothing but study.

So, with that in mind, do you guys think I should invest in a private tutor - with only four weeks to go? (A very expensive one at that, but paying for good quality teaching), or go with the other option?

Many Thanks for your advice folks.

Has

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:35 am
That's a hard call because you seem to have many options. The question you have to ask yourself is which option do you prefer - taking the test this one time and doing well or preparing for another attempt?

Keep in mind though that tutors are most effective if you already know your weaknesses because you can find a tutor that specializes in those weaknesses to really lift up your score. Unless you are struggling with many areas then a general tutor will do just fine. Your concern about 4 weeks with a tutor is a valid one, but it depends on how much you study and how often you communicate with your tutor - I believe my tutor was setup for 15 hours with the hours allocated however I wished. But if you get a tutor and cannot put in the requisite hours (tutors often demand more out of you - that's what you're paying them for after all) then it's probably not worth it.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Has » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:24 pm
Thanks Dude.

I definitely know my weaknesses (mostly if not exclusively PS) and currently am studying full time, so can put the hours in.

Your points are certainly valid; I think it is probably worth hiring someone out locally to focus on my weak areas, thus not exhausting my budget. This way I can also get some study advice and other value private tutors inevitably bring to the table, and at the same time, if I have to retake, I can at least afford it.

I would much rather just go for a big push and finish it this time round – and start living again…;-)

Appreciate the advice mayonnai5e.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm
I agree with the above. I've had a few tutoring students who expected me to be the "savior", when they didn't put in any work themselves. In those cases, our 15 hours of tutoring were pretty much worthless.

On the other hand, I have had students come to me with under a month until their test days who improved a lot. Obviously, those students put in a lot of work on their own, as well.

I think that if you have the time to invest in study - say, 20 hours per week in addition to tutoring - that it would probably be worth it.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep