preparation plan from 470 to 700.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

preparation plan from 470 to 700.

by [email protected] » Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 am
I've been studying on my own for 3 months.

List of books I studied is below:
CR: Manhattan_ Critical_Reasoning & Reading comprehension;
Math: all Manhattan GMATprep guides except of Geometry;
The princeton review cracking the GMAT;
The princeton review verbal;

Result of 2 full Kaplan CAT tests are:
1) 450 (28%) The test has been taken 1 month ago
Math: 27 (Problem solving - 40% correct, Data suff. - 55%)
Verbal: 18 (SC: 45% correct, CR-18%, RC - 40%)

2) 470 (34%) The test has been taken 1 week ago
Math: 28 (Problem solving - 55% correct, Data suff. - 40%)
Verbal: 20 (SC: 45% correct, CR-25%, RC - 25%)

My goal is to get 700+
I'm going to schedule the exam on mid. of July.
Time resources: Monday -Friday - 1,5 hour per each day
Saturday and Sunday - 4 hours per day.

My main weaknesses - always lack of time during the test and panic and rush as a result.

Could you advise me preparation plan?

Alex.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 am
If you're currently around the 500 level, that means that you need to spend about 2 months just really abosrbing the content of the test. Focus on learning every topic that is on the GMAT. After you have content down, you should transition to practicing recognizing what is being tested. The focus on the content alone should take you to around a 600-650 level. After you get to that level, focusing on recognizing what is being tested will help you get to that 700 threshold. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm
& stop taking CAT's for the time being...trust me I can say that because I'm in a similar situation
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 20, 2010 11:28 pm
[email protected] wrote:I've been studying on my own for 3 months.

My goal is to get 700+
I'm going to schedule the exam on mid. of July.
Time resources: Monday -Friday - 1,5 hour per each day
Saturday and Sunday - 4 hours per day.

My main weaknesses - always lack of time during the test and panic and rush as a result.

Could you advise me preparation plan?

Alex.
Hello,
While I think it's great that you're spending 1.5 hours a day during the week, and 4 hours during the weekend- I'm not sure if it's going to be enough. 230 points is a large gap to bridge- it's possible, but it takes a ton of work. Most programs guarantee an increase of around 50 points, or maybe even 100 when you start around a 500 base score. However, there is a reason that these programs don't guarantee more than 100 points. I'm not sure how efficiently you studied during the past 3 months, but since you only have 2 months left you're going to have to really get into gear. To do this, I suggest that you follow through with your plan to enroll for the GMAT. Having an actual test date is going to motivate you to really get to work. Secondly, if it's possible, you maybe want to take a month off of work. You need to sacrifice more time. I hate to be such a downer, but you need to realize how much work you need to do. Over 200,000 people take the GMAT every year, and only around 10% of them get a 700+, and many of these people start with a score already in the 600s. Again, I think that you can do this, but you're going to have to put in the time, and work efficiently.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 pm
Also, I'd like to second the idea that you should work on content first, and then get faster. You need to have a solid grasp of all of the basics, and then do tons of practice problems.

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by [email protected] » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 pm
...because I'm in a similar situation
money9111, what do you mean? :-)

Alex.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MFaulkner » Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm
To give you some optimism--I took the Kaplan diagnostic test last October & scored a 460 (with no preparation). Last weekend I took the GMAT and scored a 690 (in fact I'm scheduled to take the test again on June 19th b/c I'm confident that I can break through the 700 level). And in response to dan.gmat.gre--I did all of this while working 50-60 hours a week at a very involved job. Therefore, the kind of improvement you're looking for is most definitely possible. But I can assure you that moving from the 500 level to the 700 level is no quick & easy task.

I would do as the above posters mentioned. Take a step back from the CATs and go through each MGMT book with a high degree of focus and attention to detail.

You should start by going through the number properties & word translation books in great depth before starting back on the CATs. If you go through every word of those two books and do every single practice problem--to a point where you understand every single concept, I can assure you that your subsequent CAT scores will greatly improve. Those two books in particular (as well as MGMT's SC book) are pretty amazing imo. They do a remarkable job at explaining the most challenging concepts on the GMAT in a clear and concise manner. If you can do every problem (and every problem referenced) in those books you'll literally be over prepared for the exam.

Doing CATs over and over won't get you the score you want--trust me, this is what I did for several months before realizing that I needed to step back and work on the fundamentals. You need to understand every concept to the highest degree and then develop strategies for how to handle each type of problem. The practice CATs should really just be a way for you to practice your timing and learn to deal with a wide variety of topics in one long 4 hour sitting.

It's also worth noting the importance of keeping refreshed with material that you have already conquered. Even after you're confident that you have mastered a particular area, don't just forget about that topic and consider it done--review it, at least briefly once a week so that you won't forget it. There's nothing worse than feeling confident in your mastery of a topic only to be stumped by that topic a few weeks later b/c you haven't been reviewing it. One of my methods: I have ~200 flashcards I review on a daily basis just in order to ensure I don't relapse on any material.

And on a side note, you mention that you are using MGMT & Princeton books but using the Kaplan CATs. Are you enrolled in the Kaplan program, or did you just purchase the practice tests? Reason I ask, I've gone through all of the Kaplan CATs and MGMT CATs and can assure you that the MGMT tests will prepare you to a much higher degree than Kaplan's. Furthermore, the scoring algorithm in Kaplan is garbage imo and will give you an unrealistic score every time. I took the Kaplan in classroom course first and then went through MGMT's books on my own. I cannot reiterate enough how much better the MGMT program is, I wish I would have saved my money and started with MGMT.

Good luck,
Michael

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Sun May 23, 2010 12:48 am
MFaulkner wrote:To give you some optimism--I took the Kaplan diagnostic test last October & scored a 460 (with no preparation). Last weekend I took the GMAT and scored a 690 (in fact I'm scheduled to take the test again on June 19th b/c I'm confident that I can break through the 700 level). And in response to dan.gmat.gre--I did all of this while working 50-60 hours a week at a very involved job. Therefore, the kind of improvement you're looking for is most definitely possible. But I can assure you that moving from the 500 level to the 700 level is no quick & easy task.

And on a side note, you mention that you are using MGMT & Princeton books but using the Kaplan CATs. Are you enrolled in the Kaplan program, or did you just purchase the practice tests? Reason I ask, I've gone through all of the Kaplan CATs and MGMT CATs and can assure you that the MGMT tests will prepare you to a much higher degree than Kaplan's. Furthermore, the scoring algorithm in Kaplan is garbage imo and will give you an unrealistic score every time. I took the Kaplan in classroom course first and then went through MGMT's books on my own. I cannot reiterate enough how much better the MGMT program is, I wish I would have saved my money and started with MGMT.

Good luck,
Michael
First of all, I agree that MGMT scoring algorithm is better and that you should probably use their tests to study. Also, I'd like to point out that MFaulkner spent six months (from Oct. to May) getting his score up from 470 to 690. The reason that I said that you should take some time off is because you wanted to improve you score dramatically in two months. Again, I think it's possible, but you'd have to work a ton in between now and then. I'm not writing this to discourage you- quite the opposite. I just want you to realize how much work needs to be done so you put the time in.

GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by [email protected] » Mon May 24, 2010 2:34 am
Michael, guys thanks!

What is the most effective strategy to prepare:

1) to dedicate 2 days for math section only, then 2 days for verbal, then math again etc.
2) to dedicate 1 week for math fully but spend 20-30 minutes per day for revision of verbal part then 1 week for verbal etc.

every strategy consuming spending 1.5 h per business day and 8-10 hours per weekend.

Alex.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MFaulkner » Mon May 24, 2010 6:01 am
I actually went through 1 book at a time--even if that meant focusing on a sole topic for over a week at a time. Then after finishing each book I'd proceed to take a practice CAT and make flash cards covering all of the material that I had difficulty with (and I'd review these flash cards every day to stay fresh)

After going through all of the books that I deemed necessary, I switched to an alternating study method that involved reviewing a quant area for one or two days followed by a verbal area for one or two days + taking one CAT per week. Furthermore, I made (and continue to make) a schedule at the start of each week so that I have some structure to my agenda--opposed to arbitrarily picking a subject to study each day.

For the final month leading up to my exam date I was alternating between verbal & quant each day of the week with a primary focus on the OG problems. When the final day drew near I began taking 2 CATs per week--including the official practice CATs. My goal for the final stretch was not to learn new material but instead review and stay on topic of everything that I already knew.

The final week prior to the exam I kept things as stress free as possible. I reviewed my flashcards on a daily basis (which took about 1 hour per day) but did not study any more than that.