Preparation for GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Preparation for GMAT

by vinumba10 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 am
Hi All,
I need a very important clarification on GMAT Preparation....
Is Preparing GMAT on our own at home is best or through any coaching classes are best.........
Getting GMAT REVIEW : The Official Guide will help me preparing myself and get good score???
Joining in any GMAT Coaching institution will help me????
Please help me out

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm
This really depends on the individual. If you feel like you can have the discipline to study consistently, a several hours a week, and feel confident you can create a strategy for yourself to methodically attack the GMAT--then by all means, self study is probably best. There are a ton of resources in this community to help you with your self study as well, including the GMAT Resources Directory.

I usually recommend folks to give self study a shot first, since it is possible to do great on the GMAT on your own. Plus, it's nice to save the money. However, if you feel like you need a teacher to help you learn the material and keep you accountable for your prep, a prep course might be good for you. There's been a lot of discussion in this community about what the best prep courses are, so I encourage you to search through the old forum posts using the Google search feature at the top right of this page.

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by vinumba10 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 am
Thank you Eric

by soque » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:05 am
I too had this question. I have talked to several people who have taken prep courses, some with success and some without. In general, they have told me that taking a prep course gave them direction and enabled them to follow a pre-mapped plan. However, they said that you get out of it what you put in. In other words, it helped them get started and prepare in an organized way, but you still have to put the work in and study hard to get a good score!