Pre-MBA programs

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Pre-MBA programs

by changingcourse » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 am
How much value do they have? Are they any different from just taking post-graduation courses? How much can they really improve one's chance of getting into a good MBA program?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 am
Dear Changingcourse,

Can you be more specific about to which programs you are referring? Are you talking about something like MBAMath.com?

In the end, much of this will depend on why you are seeking this sort of coursework (e.g. bolstering your candidacy/addressing lack of quant. undergrad vs. brushing up on skills in advance of showing up for b-school). If memory serves, you fall into the former category, so my sense is that you'll likely be best served by taking 'regular' courses in accounting, statistics and calculus - most likely at a school near you. Having said that, I'd really need to know more about the various options you are looking at to offer more specific advice.

Regards,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by changingcourse » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am
Dear Graham,

Several schools have Pre-MBA programs. Fordham University being one. The point of the program is to introduce students to the "rigors of an MBA program". Some of the schools that have this program has them as non-credit courses and others, Fordham being one, will add them to a students MBA transcript IF that student ends up being admitted to their MBA program.

I was just wondering how much value a program like that would hold when applying to schools other than the school with that program.

Below is a link to a description of Fordham University's Pre-MBA program:

https://www.bnet.fordham.edu/fordham-bus ... /index.htm

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by MNMBA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am
I'm looking to brush up on my quant skills before starting b-school in the fall, and am considering mbamath.com, as well as the product offered through GMAC called "GMAT Business Ready." Which is better? They're both about the same price (just under $200). I don't want to spend a ton of time prepping this summer, nor do I want to spend time learning what will be taught in class in the fall. Therefore I'm inclined to use Business Ready because it seems more straightforward. But I can't find anyone online who's used it; people only seem to recommend mbamath. Any opinions one way or the other? Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am
Hi MNMBA,

Have you taken the GMAT business Ready courseware? If so, can you please provide any feedback?

BTG members, does engaging in courses like these give an applicant any benefit in the eyes of the adcoms? I am looking to familiarise myself with some basic MBA courses as I come from an engineering background and am looking to apply to a 1 year MBA course.

thank you,
Sunil

GMAT Score:710

by MNMBA » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 am
Nope, haven't started yet. I'm now leaning more towards using mbamath.com, as the reviews online that I can find are consistently positive and I can't find anyone who's used the GMAT business ready software.

by slauknight » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:21 pm
I would also like to know whether a pre-MBA leadership development program would help my application stand out, and if anyone knows of any stand out programs for Asian-Americans and/or women?

A former colleague of mine just got accepted to Cornell, and noted that her GMAT scores weren't extremely high. However, she had been a part of a pre-MBA leadership development program for African-Americans for the last year, and thought that it may have made the difference.

An example of a program I'd love to join is Management Leadersihp for Tomorrow (https://www.ml4t.org/), but it doesn't seem to be open to Asians.

by klobrien » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 pm
I am currently using the GMAT Business Ready Program. As someone who is relatively new to business curriculum, it's not quite up to my standards. I feel that the program could be a little more thorough explaining the topics. I also has a hard time finding information on MBA prep programs, but this was recommended by my school. Either way, I think it will still be beneficial to me.

Followed by:1 members

by max_roper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 am
Here is a MBA prep / leadership development program worth considering: USA Leadership Corps.
Good luck!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 am
Certain programs like Management Leadership for Tomorrow, The Consortium and Forte Foundation provide excellent resources for applicants.

Taking courses like statistics, calculus, etc. and getting A's helps your chances as an applicant when you have not taken these as an undergraduate.
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:27 pm
Hi Slauknight,

Having done a pre-MBA leadership course may not be much help in getting admission to an MBA program. Adcom is more interested in application of leadership or any other skill for that matter in a real life scenario (professional or personal life).

Most of the B-schools have a pre-term (usually 3-4 weeks)where they prepare students in the subjects they may be lacking. Mathematics/ statistics is usually one of the subjects. Unless you want to take advanced finance courses as electives, the quant part in MBA is not frightening at all.