Practice Test Scores - I'm confusified...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Practice Test Scores - I'm confusified...

by jru577 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:45 pm
I'm taking the GMAT on Saturday (wish I had found this forum sooner!) and admittedly didn't hit the books hard enough from when I scheduled it in January. Anyway - I've been studying like a fool, and have taken four practice exams. Two from Kaplan and two from the PowerPrep software. The scores are quite different and are as follows:

Kap1: 530 - I nearly cried
Kap2: 540 - still weepy
PP1 - 670 - yay - big improvement!
PP2 - 640 - meh

Is it true that the Kap tests are considered more difficult? Are the PP too easy?

I'm not delusional to think that I'll score in the 700s on the real thing, but I'd say a 650, or even a 600+ would be good enough to get me into my chosen schools.

Thoughts?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
by 'powerprep' are you referring to the actual powerprep, or to the official GMATPrep exams from mba.com?

the powerprep software, which you can download here among other places, is now somewhat outdated; it was written by ETS, which doesn't have anything to do with the gmat anymore. the new software is GMATPrep (available from mba.com), which offers practice tests consisting of retired questions from fairly recent exams.

if you really mean GMATPrep when you say powerprep, then you should base your opinion much more on those tests than on the kaplan tests; not only did you study more before taking them, but also because they consist of very recent official questions and so, a fortiori, will correspond most closely to the upcoming official exam.

if you took the actual old powerprep tests, then get thee to a mba.commery between now and saturday and take the two GMATPrep practice tests. those will give you a fairly accurate idea where you stand.

good luck!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron