practical question on MBA application timing

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

practical question on MBA application timing

by ben4321 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 am
Dear all,

First, thanks for the many advices posted on this forum, it has a huge value for prospective applicants like me.

I plan to apply to a few schools, among which HBS and INSEAD, for a starting date in September 2015.

My target is to submit an application to HBS in round 2 (early Jan 2015), with an expected final decision towards end of March 2015 (if somebody has a more precise info on the date, you are most welcome!).

I wonder whether I should apply to INSEAD in round 2 or round 3 (out of 4 rounds):
- in round 2, application mid-November, final decision expected 23rd Jan 2015: if admitted, I will have to pay the non refundable deposit before I hear from HBS (unless no interview)
- in round 3, application mid-January, final decision expected on the 20th of March, similar timing to others schools', no need to pay deposit if accepted to HBS

Imagining that I am admitted to both (one can dream!), it comes down to: is there a difference in competitiveness between rounds 2 and 3 now that there are 4 rounds (school says no, but maybe some have a different experience)?

Thank you all in advance for your advices.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 am
Hey Ben,

The exact nature of the difference between the rounds is hard to pin down and it varies for each applicant. For certain types of applicants, rounds can make a big difference. For others, less so. But the only time we recommend later rounds is if you won't be ready in time for the earlier ones. So if you can't make the mid-November INSEAD date, go for January. But if you can, always apply earlier. I understand the dates line up better but that shouldn't influence your decision much.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:14 am
I would recommend you apply to INSEAD as soon as your application is of a high quality. Applying later could or could not make a difference depending on the number of quality applicants applying in previous rounds who have a similar profile to you. Why chance it? If you are accepted to both schools, consider that a high-class problem (like a business have too many sales).

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.