Verbal Review 2017 ----Parallelism question----To Mitch

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide a host of benefits that includes the supply of protein for people, protecting shorelines, and they contain biochemical sources for new life-saving medicines.

A. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that includes the supply of protein for people, protecting shorelines,
B. coral reefs provide a host of benefits: they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines,
C. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that include supplying protein for people, as well as shoreline protection,
D. a coral reef provides a host of benefits; they supply protein for people, the protecting of shorelines,
E. a coral reef provides a host of benefits, including protein for people, protecting shorelines,

OA:B

In Choice C, why is the parallelism wrong? How 'as well as' could be used in right construction?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 am
Mo2men wrote:Nearly unrivaled in their biological diversity, coral reefs provide a host of benefits that includes the supply of protein for people, protecting shorelines, and they contain biochemical sources for new life-saving medicines.

A. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that includes the supply of protein for people, protecting shorelines,
B. coral reefs provide a host of benefits: they supply people with protein, they protect the shorelines,
C. coral reefs provide a host of benefits that include supplying protein for people, as well as shoreline protection,
D. a coral reef provides a host of benefits; they supply protein for people, the protecting of shorelines,
E. a coral reef provides a host of benefits, including protein for people, protecting shorelines,

OA:B

In Choice C, why is the parallelism wrong? How 'as well as' could be used in right construction?
and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A CLAUSE contains a subject and a verb.
The SC above is constructed as follows:
X, Y and they contain.
The non-underlined blue portion that follows and is a CLAUSE.
To maintain parallelism, X and Y must also be clauses.
Only B provides the required parallelism:
they supply, they protect and they contain.

The correct answer is B.
How 'as well as' could be used in right construction?
as well as is NOT a substitute for and.
X as well as Y implies that Y is LESS IMPORTANT than X.
Here, the three benefits -- they supply, they protect, they contain -- are equally important.
Thus, the usage of as well as would be inappropriate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Here, the three benefits -- they supply, they protect, they contain -- are equally important.
Thanks Mitch.

Can you please shed light on the right usage of 'as well as' in general, not in the above sentence. I'd like to know how an OA with 'as well as' could be true and when is wrong.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Thanks Mitch.

Can you please shed light on the right usage of 'as well as' in general, not in the above sentence. I'd like to know how an OA with 'as well as' could be true and when is wrong.

Thanks
Another SC that includes a misuse of as well as:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-2016-sc-97-t289689.html

An OA with a correct usage of as well as:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/diesel-engin ... 88260.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3