Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have
(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases having

[spoiler]OA: Plz discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:47 am
hi aspirant, i saw this problem earlier. solved it wrong picking B,but think that i can explain something
C)far fewer carbon dioxide. carbon dioxide is uncountable so we need far less.
also they is dubious here, but i believe that it is a small problem
D) i don`t like: that have comparable size.again pronoun they as in C,and the last:far less....other gases. gases are countable so we need fewer before other gases.
E)again:that have comparable size,as in D. far fewer carbon dioxide, does not work here,
as in C we need far less carbon dioxide,
B)great riddle for me. Ron says that construction: as well as emit is wrong, by nature
i hope: as well as + verb is wrong, and as well as verb-ing is right. i don`t see other mistakes
also he says that as well as is not absolute ||-marker, so burn.... as well as emit could not be ||.
and before as well as you can see comma,it means that as well as is not || marker but modifier.
and the structure:they burn,emitting-looks good
so left with A

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by gmatblood » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 am
IMO :C

Followed by:1 members

by BlindVision » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have
(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases having
(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases that have
(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far less carbon dioxide gas and other gases that have
(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer carbon dioxide and other gases having

[spoiler]OA: Plz discuss each answer choice in detail[/spoiler]
C
Life is a Test

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:55 pm
clock60 wrote: D) i don`t like: that have comparable size.again pronoun they as in C,and the last:far less....other gases. gases are countable so we need fewer before other gases.
Hi clock60, thnks for ur response but I have a doubt on your above line as the sentence says the word emit other gases & I feel word emit is non countable, therefore less should be the appropriate word, plz correct me if I am wrong.....

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:35 pm
hi aspirant
i understand your doubts about D,
as i think, far less here refers not only to carbon dioxide, but far less is implied before other gases,
imagine that gasoline engines emit some gases: gase1, gase2, gase3, gase4.but diesel engines emit only gase1, gase2 and gase3.or fewer gases. that`s why i think we need fewer before other gases as done in B or A
also in one other sentence also from Gprep i faced with:
they have little money and services available.
it is ok to say little money, but little also refers to services that is countable so correct version
is: little money and few services available

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:17 am
clock60 wrote:hi aspirant
i understand your doubts about D,
as i think, far less here refers not only to carbon dioxide, but far less is implied before other gases,
imagine that gasoline engines emit some gases: gase1, gase2, gase3, gase4.but diesel engines emit only gase1, gase2 and gase3.or fewer gases. that`s why i think we need fewer before other gases as done in B or A
also in one other sentence also from Gprep i faced with:
they have little money and services available.
it is ok to say little money, but little also refers to services that is countable so correct version
is: little money and few services available
I agree but there is still a confusion on i.e how can I come to know whether second part is refering to the number of gases or amount of gases because nothing is explicitly mentioned in the sentence

by apex231 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:31 pm
In option C, "far fewer carbon dioxide" makes no sense. Option D looks the best of all. (C) of comparable size, and also they emit "far fewer carbon dioxide" and other gases that have

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:00 pm
aspirant2011 wrote:Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

In C and E, fewer carbon dioxide is incorrect. Fewer is used to refer to something countable; carbon dioxide is not countable. (Please note that fewer other gases also is incorrect; the correct wording is fewer OF the other gases.) Eliminate C and E.

In D, less...other gases is incorrect. To discuss the NUMBER of the other gases, the correct wording is FEWER of the other gases. To discuss the AMOUNT of the other gases, the correct wording is LESS OF the other gases. Eliminate D.

In B, having been implicated is used -- incorrectly -- to modify gases. Having + past participle is used to indicate an action that:

-- is completed before the primary action attributed to the modified noun
-- provides context for the primary action attributed to the modified noun

For example:

Having enjoyed the book, John cannot wait to see the movie.

In the sentence above:
Having enjoyed refers to John.
Cannot wait is the primary action attributed to the modified noun John.
Having enjoyed was completed in the past; John cannot wait in the present.
Having enjoyed the book explains why John cannot wait.

In B, the other gases (the modified noun) are not performing a primary action. Hence the use of having + past participle is inappropriate. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.

In A:

As well as + VERBing = preposition + gerund = adverbial modifier.

To elaborate:
-- as well as is a preposition.
-- emitting is a gerund -- a verb functioning as a noun. Emitting is the object of the preposition as well as.
-- The entire phrase -- as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas -- is an adverb modifying the previous clause.

The following are analagous constructions:

In addition to emitting less gas...
Besides emitting less gas...
As well as emitting less gas...
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In C and E, fewer carbon dioxide is incorrect. Fewer is used to refer to something countable; carbon dioxide is not countable. (Please note that fewer other gases also is incorrect; the correct wording is fewer OF the other gases.) Eliminate C and E.

In D, less...other gases is incorrect. To discuss the NUMBER of the other gases, the correct wording is FEWER of the other gases. To discuss the AMOUNT of the other gases, the correct wording is LESS OF the other gases. Eliminate D.

In B, having been implicated is used -- incorrectly -- to modify gases. Having + past participle is used to indicate an action that:

For example:

In the sentence above:

In B, the other gases (the modified noun) are not performing a primary action. Hence the use of having + past participle is inappropriate. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.

In A, emitting is a modifier. A modifier does not have to be parallel with the rest of the sentence. The situation might be clearer if we reverse the order:

As well as emitting less carbon dioxide gas...diesel engines burn as much as 30% more fuel.

The present participle emitting indicates an action contemporaneous with burn: as the engines burn the fuel, they are -- at the same time -- emitting less carbon dioxide gas.
Hi Mitch,

Thanks a lot for your wonderful explanation :-)

by apex231 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: In D, less...other gases is incorrect. To discuss the NUMBER of the other gases, the correct wording is FEWER of the other gases. To discuss the AMOUNT of the other gases, the correct wording is LESS OF the other gases. Eliminate D.
Hi Mitch, how can we know that whether we are talking about number or amount of gases? Is it not logical to deduce that when we are referring to quantity of carbon dioxide (which is one of the gases in question), we must also refer to the quantity of other gases?

Also, in option A, isn't the quoted text below ambiguous in that whether it refers to Diesel engines or gasoline engines?

(A) of comparable size, "as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have"

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 pm
apex231 wrote: Hi Mitch, how can we know that whether we are talking about number or amount of gases? Is it not logical to deduce that when we are referring to quantity of carbon dioxide (which is one of the gases in question), we must also refer to the quantity of other gases?
There is nothing for us to deduce. Fewer carbon dioxide (in C and E) and less...other gases (in D) are incorrect constructions. Thus, we're left with the construction offered in A and B: less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases.
Also, in option A, isn't the quoted text below ambiguous in that whether it refers to Diesel engines or gasoline engines?

(A) of comparable size, "as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have"

Thanks.
The parallel comparison -- diesel engines burn...less fuel...as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas -- makes it clear that emitting refers to diesel engines.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat1978 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm
Hello Mitch -

Couple questions about answer choice A - 1) Is the tense change ok? Because in the clause prior to "as well as", the verb is "burn" - simple tense. After "as well as" the verb is "emitting" - progressive tense. I thought that it is better to stick to the same verb tense. Please correct me.

2) Also is my interpretation below correct as far as parallelism is concerned?

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size. AND
Diesel engines emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

In the second clause above do we even need that. Can we simply say - Diesel engines emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases have been implicated in global warming

What does that stand for?

Thanks very much in advance.

GMATGuruNY wrote:
apex231 wrote: Hi Mitch, how can we know that whether we are talking about number or amount of gases? Is it not logical to deduce that when we are referring to quantity of carbon dioxide (which is one of the gases in question), we must also refer to the quantity of other gases?
There is nothing for us to deduce. Fewer carbon dioxide (in C and E) and less...other gases (in D) are incorrect constructions. Thus, we're left with the construction offered in A and B: less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases.

Thanks.
The parallel comparison -- diesel engines burn...less fuel...as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas -- makes it clear that emitting refers to diesel engines.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

For example:

In the sentence above:

The correct answer is A.

In A, emitting is a modifier. A modifier does not have to be parallel with the rest of the sentence. The situation might be clearer if we reverse the order:

As well as emitting less carbon dioxide gas...diesel engines burn as much as 30% more fuel.

The present participle emitting indicates an action contemporaneous with burn: as the engines burn the fuel, they are -- at the same time -- emitting less carbon dioxide
gas.
OH, MY GOD, MITCH HUNT. TOO COOL EXPLANATION. may be I never get 790
One more question
what is " as well as" how it is used? Please, explain. I eliminate D because I think "as well as" is a coordinate and so needs an similar element in first part of the sentence.
Please, help,

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 am
gmat1978 wrote:Hello Mitch -

Couple questions about answer choice A - 1) Is the tense change ok? Because in the clause prior to "as well as", the verb is "burn" - simple tense. After "as well as" the verb is "emitting" - progressive tense. I thought that it is better to stick to the same verb tense. Please correct me.

2) Also is my interpretation below correct as far as parallelism is concerned?

Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size. AND
Diesel engines emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases that have been implicated in global warming.

In the second clause above do we even need that. Can we simply say - Diesel engines emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gases have been implicated in global warming

What does that stand for?

Thanks very much in advance.
Please revisit my post above, which I've amended in an effort to clarify the situation.

I misspoke in my original post: although the entire last phrase (as well as emitting, etc.) is functioning as a modifier, emitting itself is not a modifier but a GERUND -- a verb functioning as a noun. A gerund does not have a tense. Diesel engines emitting would change emitting to an adjective, so this construction is not relevant here.

That have been implicated is an adjective (technically, a relative clause) describing the other gases. The relative pronoun that refers to the other gases.
duongthang wrote:
OH, MY GOD, MITCH HUNT. TOO COOL EXPLANATION. may be I never get 790
One more question
what is " as well as" how it is used? Please, explain. I eliminate D because I think "as well as" is a coordinate and so needs an similar element in first part of the sentence.
Please, help,
Please revisit my post above, which has been amended to explain the use of as well as.

Regardless of how each component is functioning, here's the bottom line:

-- The GMAT considers as well as + VERBing an acceptable adverbial modifier.
-- VERBing in the adverbial modifier need not be parallel with the verb in the modified clause.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3