Practice sc questions from Princeton Review verbal workwook

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Due to his temperament being fueled by distrusting technology, Stanley Kubrick did his best to insulate himself from what he termed "the pains of modern living."

a. Due to his temperament being fueled by distrusting
b. Because his temperament was being fueled by a distrust of
c. His temperament fueled by a distrust of
d. Due to the fact that his temperament had been fueled by a distrust in
e . Having had his temperament fueled by his lack of trust in

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:20 pm
C IMO
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by thevoid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 pm
reply2spg wrote:C IMO
i think in C, his temperament is modifying Stanley Kubick, which doesnt seem to go right,
and idiom i suppose should be - distrust in

SO,
I would go with
[spoiler]E

Can we have the OA. thnnx[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:22 am
thevoid wrote:
reply2spg wrote:C IMO
i think in C, his temperament is modifying Stanley Kubick, which doesnt seem to go right,
and idiom i suppose should be - distrust in

SO,
I would go with
[spoiler]E

Can we have the OA. thnnx[/spoiler]
His temparement is a noun phrase .It correctly modifies stanley K.
https://examples.yourdictionary.com/distrust
In B,the continuous prog tense is problematic

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:23 am
shoot4greatness wrote:Due to his temperament being fueled by distrusting technology, Stanley Kubrick did his best to insulate himself from what he termed "the pains of modern living."

kindly post the OA.Its futile to attempt a question and not know whether you got it rite or wrong

by shoot4greatness » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 pm
Sorry for late post i forgot about this post the answer is c the first part of the sentencr is a phrase modifying the subject Kubrick the prhase needs no edit to clause because the phrase directly modifies the subject.

by Yanat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 am
Due to his temperament being fueled by distrusting technology, Stanley Kubrick did his best to insulate himself from what he termed "the pains of modern living."

After the comma, we have Stanley Kubrick. So the sentence prior to it has to link to it or modify it. IMO C is the answer because 'His' refers to Stanley Kubrick.

IMO it is C

by shoot4greatness » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm
Sorry for my last post. I was trying to type the answer on my phone. Yanat explained it very well. Previously, I stated that it was a phrase modifier. It's actually a clause modifier, because the modifier itself does not clearly state what the subject is. The modifier has "His" but does not clearly adress who "His" is referring to. The lack of subject is immediately compensated by "Stanley Kubrick". Grammatical rules apply that when there's a clause modifier, a noun subject must immediately follow to clear any misunderstanding.
Also, there are a lot of unnecessary words and incorrect parallelism that must be adressed. "Being fueled" is too wordy. Simple is, in most cases, preferred. So take out "being. "Due to" is also unecessary because, as stated above, the underlined part is a clause modifier. A clause can lack a subject or a verb. As long as a noun subject is followed immediately after a clause modifier, it's a go.

Additionally, A,B, and D are also wrong, because they are very similary in content structurally. It's not a good idea to start a sentence with "due to". It's almost as same as starting a sentence with "because". It's best to revise the sentence to avoid any awkward, grammatically error. Now, E is wrong because it's trying to use past perfect by using "had". It is somewhat correct because there are two past tense verbs happenning in the sentence. However, "having had his temperament..." is too wordy. Again, avoid wordy sentences. C is the best and right answer.

by Balrog1978 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 am
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

A. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful

B. Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful

C. Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms

D. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful

E. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

This one feels similar to the original question in this thread! What would be the right answer? I plucked this from a discussion in MGMAT - however, no one seems to have arrived at a conclusion!

by shoot4greatness » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:10 pm
@balrog, I'm using my phone to answer this so ill keep it short and explain when i have access to a pc. The answer is A. The explanation is all in this thread. Please refer to posts in this thread for time being.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm
My Pick : E
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

by shoot4greatness » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:18 pm
Let's use POE. B is wrong because "had been eventually successful" is too wordy. C is wrong because you never want to start a sentence with "Because". D is wrong because "being" is unecessary. E is a mess because it's fragmented, "eventually successfully" double adverb. Even if it is "eventually successful", E is a fragmented sentence. E is a phrase, not a clause. A is a noun clause that refers to Sir Joesph Lister. No pronoun errors, verb tense errors, parallel construction errors, comparison errors, subject-verb error, or idiom errors in A. A is the correct answer.

by gmat1011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 am
This question (Sir Joseph Lister) popped up on the Kaplan CAT (No 4) that I took yesterday.

The answer to this is A.

by jaxis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm
guys,

Is 'distrust of' correctly used in this sentence?

As per me it should be 'distrust in'

distrust in XYZ: somebody not trusting XYZ
distrust of XYZ: XYZ does not trust in some thing.

Please clear the doubt.

Followed by:2 members

by ruplun » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am
gmat1011 wrote:This question (Sir Joseph Lister) popped up on the Kaplan CAT (No 4) that I took yesterday.

The answer to this is A.
in C ... As the sentence starts with Beacuse , it cannot be discarded.Please a good reasoning is required.