Mary Leakey - GMAT Prep two versions...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Mary Leakey - GMAT Prep two versions...

by adi_800 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 pm
There are two versions of the same sentence with different OA...This one is from GMAT prep...

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of

B) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

C) Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

E) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA is A

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activvity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA is D

Any reason why we have different OAs...when the underlined part is ALMOST the same...
Only difference being in first ver. underlined part starts with Mary Leakey and second ver. it starts with Leakey....
Last edited by adi_800 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by The Jock » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:00 am
I am always going to select D for this question. These two different versions could be some mistake but if I apply grammar rules I would always select D here.

"In addition to her work" kind of prompted me to use Possessive form Mary Leakey's contributions.
Thanks and Regards,
Varun
https://mbayogi.wordpress.com/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sirisha.g » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 am
adi_800 wrote:There are two versions of the same sentence with different OA...This one is from GMAT prep...

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of

B) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

C) Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

E) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA is A

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activvity and with her painstaking documentation of

D) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

OA is D

Any reason why we have different OAs...when the underlined part is ALMOST the same...
Only difference being in first ver. underlined part starts with Mary Leakey and second ver. it starts with Leakey....
IMO: A is correct because "her" can refer to only Mary leakey and the possesive form. D is wrong

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:22 am
Both answers are correct!

Note the subtle differences in options in both questions.

Question 1:
In Q1, option D has parallelism error. her discovery of and painstakingly documening are not in parallel. (This has been corrected in Q2, option D). Hence Q1, option D is incorrect. In fact we have parallelism errors in all options B,C,D and E in the same two phrases. Note that A, though not perfect, is the best option here.

Question 2:
In Q2, A, B and E contain parallelism errors similar to ones described above. C has a comparison error in that it incorrectly compares Mary Leakey with her work. D is the best choice.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 am
i see parallelism here as a major testing topic
in the first sentence
Mary contributed through discovery of .....and documentation of... ( noun||to noun)
B)discovery and documenting
C)discovering and documentation
D)discovery and documenting
E) discovering and documentation
only A seems right

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am
The Jock wrote:I am always going to select D for this question. These two different versions could be some mistake but if I apply grammar rules I would always select D here.

"In addition to her work" kind of prompted me to use Possessive form Mary Leakey's contributions.
Bhai...GMATprep ka sawal hain....we cant doubt the answers given in gmat prep!!

Lets hv some response from experts!!

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:39 am
Can anyone reply to my question...
Two questions..almost similar but different OAs..

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:54 am
adi@

See the post above. niksworth has already replied properly.

Key point in this qyestion is :

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, --> it can modify to "Mary Leakey" as well as " Leakey's contributions"

So, No modifier error in any choice.

Now, if you read A and D of both the sentences then,

In prob 1 : A is parallel, D is not parallel.
in Problem 2 : D is parallel, A is not parallel

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 am
i don't really understand what you're trying to ask here.

forgive me if i'm misinterpreting you, but the tone of your question ("why are there different OAs") makes it seem that you think there should only be one correct way in which to write the sentence!
if so, note that this is most certainly not the case; unless the sentence is extraordinarily simple (or the underline is only one or two words long), there will essentially always be multiple ways in which to write the sentence.

the issue is also complicated here by the fact that the opening modifier is prepositional (the easiest way to process it is to consider "in addition to" as one preposition), and prepositional modifiers are EXTREMELY flexible.
i.e., other kinds of modifiers would be much less flexible.
for instance, if i started out with "Adding onto her work on the miocene fossil record, ..." then the following noun MUST be "mary leakey". if the modifier is prepositional, though, you've got a great deal more flexibility.

in any case, the key to both of these problems is the same: parallelism.
in the first problem, ONLY the correct answer has proper parallelism ("discovery"/"documentation").
in the second problem, parallelism eliminates everything except (c) and (d).

i'm not really sure why both of these problems exist, given that they are so similar. my best hypothesis is that the second is a higher-difficulty-level substitution for the first.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Location: Classroom courses in Delhi | Bangalore | Video courses across the planet
Followed by:64 members

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 pm
Final solution at one place:

Important: The purpose of this post (and all the other posts by me) is to give a complete solution to all GMAT-Prep Verbal questions at one place. Sometimes students have to wade through dozens of posts to get to the final answer. My posts will give one complete and crisp solution required to arrive at the correct answer by eliminating the wrong one. Some of the content in these posts may have been taken from various other sources (discussion forums).

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
(D) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
(E) Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

A, B: 'discovery' is not parallel to 'documenting'
E: 'discovering' is not parallel to 'documentation'
C: uses the wrong idiom 'was a contributor with' ... completely wrong.

D is correct.

Another version of the same question:

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.
A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

B, D: 'discovery' is not parallel to 'documenting'
C, E: 'discovering' is not parallel to 'documentation'

A is correct.
Sandeep Gupta | Asia's only GMAT trainer with multiple 770/800 and a perfect 800/800 score |
Check out my results on www.top-one-percent.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 am
Ron,
Can you explain why "Adding onto her work on the miocene fossil record" MUST have Mark Leakey
and why "In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record" can have Mark Leakey/Mark Leakey's
lunarpower wrote:
for instance, if i started out with "Adding onto her work on the miocene fossil record, ..." then the following noun MUST be "mary leakey". if the modifier is prepositional, though, you've got a great deal more flexibility.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

by ArunangsuSahu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 am
Q1. (A)

(D) is not parallel.."her" is missing in the 2nd part after "and"

Q2...(D)

(A) doesn't contain parallelism

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by twentythr23 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 pm
lunarpower wrote:
Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

What about the rest of the "her" in the main clause? Arent they lacking an antecedent since the main subject is leakey's contribution instead of leakey herself.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 pm
vikram4689 wrote:Ron,
Can you explain why "Adding onto her work on the miocene fossil record" MUST have Mark Leakey
and why "In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record" can have Mark Leakey/Mark Leakey's
initial COMMA + -ING modifiers have to refer to the following subject.
prepositional phrases don't.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm
twentythr23 wrote:What about the rest of the "her" in the main clause? Arent they lacking an antecedent since the main subject is leakey's contribution instead of leakey herself.
no.
read here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/thermometer- ... tml#260416

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron