Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by stevieg » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:45 am
Hi,

I trust that you are well.

Please could you perhaps give some advice on my evaluation.

I am planning to apply to the top 5 schools.

HBS is my number 1 choice.

Background
Born and raised in the UK.

BA in History from University College London (GPA:3.0)

Journalist for the The Times Group of Newspapers (1 year)

Derivatives analyst (UBS) - 3 years.

I have 6-7 year track record of strong extra-curricular activities, volunteering with several organisations (mentoring,education etc).

I am looking for a career change however and want to move into the non-profit sector with a long term target to set up a charitable foundation.

I am yet to take a GMAT but I'm assuming with my low GPA I would possibly need a 700+?

I know that Harvard may seem a long shot but I think
I can do it. I just wandered what your thoughts were and if you think my optimism is misguided!

Many Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Steve

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 am
Hi Steve, and thank you for your inquiry.

For the GMAT, yes you will want a high score to ease any concerns they might have about the low GPA.

In terms of the career goal, I would suggest exploring all facets of your past to see what elements you need to succeed in that goal you already have. For example - strong financial skills are always necessary in an organization, perhaps especially so at a non-profit. What about your year as a journalist? Did you learn to remain objective and detached when reporting on controversial subjects, a skill which could help you when appealing to large donors in your non profit. Are your extracurricular activities at all connected to the kind of non-profit you want to start?

In essence - try to show this as a career transition rather than a radical career change.

Yes, HBS is probably a stretch, but your career goal will make you stand out somewhat. If you can build a compelling case that convinces them this is something you're committed to and prepared to succeed in, then give it a shot!

Good luck,
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stevieg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:32 pm
Hello,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

I'm worried about my GMAT as in practice tests I'm scoring low, between 600-640. I know this probably isn't going to be good enough and many people are saying I have to shoot above a 700 to be competitive.

I have completed my essays and believe they are strong; this may mean I can get less than 700 but I still don't think this would be enough. I'm told that with sub 700 there's no point in applying to HBS.

Would you agree?

In general I believe my recommendations will be very strong (as my recommenders know me very well) and my essays. My work experience I feel is good.

However, I just think my GPA and GMAT may let me down and my feeling is that HBS may ultimately look unfavourably on this.

If you could let me know your thoughts it would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steve

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:29 pm
Hi Steve -

I think you're searching for an answer I can't give you. If this were a scientific process based only on checking off certain boxes and scores, it would be much easier to predict and answer if HBS is a realistic choice. Certainly you are right that a combined low GPA and low GMAT is a big hurdle. But I would never tell anyone that, for example, getting a 700 means it's ok to apply but a 690 means it isn't. That's just not the way the system works - the schools look at you as a whole. Grades and scores are a big part but it's not a black and white line. Yes, HBS is a stretch for you, and I do think focusing on the GMAT is important, but not the only factor; I guess that's the best advice I can give.

Good luck,
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php