Possibility of me getting into MBA program with these scores

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
So, I took the GMAT and I just received my scores. I got a 35/75% Verbal 31/25% Quantitative which is a 550 then I got 6.0/91% AWA and a 7/82% Integrated reasoning.

I want to get into Auburn's distance MBA program and in particular concentrate in Supply Chain Management. Their students typically score 550-600 in the distance MBA program. I know that my quantitative really brought my score down but do you think the high scores in every section will help me get in? Do most programs focus more on the Quantitative section of the test?

Some other background info my Undergraduate GPA 3.2 and I have 3 years of experience as an Active Duty Army Logistics officer with experience overseas.

I guess I am just worried that my quant score is going to screw me out of getting into the school, what is yall's typical experience?

Followed by:3 members

by bnutz79 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 am
First, have you only taken the GMAT once? If so, study more and take it again.

Second, why do you want to do the online program? Is it because you're still on active duty. There's nothing wrong with online programs, so long as that route aligns with your goals. With that said, there are far better online programs than Auburn that you could get into.

Last, don't sell yourself short. Programs love veterans. What's more, and this will seem counter-intuitive, programs love logistics and transportation officers. Why do they love them? It's because those skills are more transferable to the business world.

So, stop doubting yourself and stop being lazy. Study for the GMAT. Score near 650 or higher. Apply to at least three top 20 program. Because with the right application execution and a good interview, you WILL get into a top 20 full-time program!

by roofjp1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 am
Actually I am still on active duty and I will be for the next 5 or so years, so yes a distance MBA is something that I need to do. On the other hand through my Logistics career path I will be getting a Masters in Logistics through the Army's Captain's Career Course program in a couple of years through the Florida Institute of Technology. I mainly want the MBA to strengthen my business background because I will have plenty of logistics experience and the other masters to supplement that. So, in a way yes I would love to get into a Top 20 school but the viability of having a decent MBA from Auburn as well as another masters in solely Logistics is really what is in line with my goals. The main issue for me is just quantitative I did well on all other sections so taking the GMAT again wouldn't be an issue totally I was just wondering if my low quan score will effect me neagtively that much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am
Hey there,

When schools accept a range, keep in mind there are some components to it that favor (some sense of) balance. So a 550 is in range, but a 25th percentile in quant is going to raise some eyebrows.

I think you're well suited for the program you're targeting, but if you have the time to retake the GMAT, you should. Even getting up to a 600 would make a world of difference.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by roofjp1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 am
Bahhhhhh, I know the quantitative score is low. But seriously, does one section of this test really mean that much in the application process? I scored over 75% in every single thing else. I also am positive I have an extremely strong application packet. I mean seriously I was managing 75 Personnel, over 250 million dollars worth of equipment, and developing executive level cost analysis budgets (Brigade level 5500 troops) at the age of 22. I have a decent GPA 3.2 and I am currently working in a supply chain logistics position where I manage 92 different personnel. I honestly hated every second of studying for the GMAT. I know it may seem like I am whining but I mean seriously I see people on here all the time talking about how they made it into MUCH better business schools with scores around what I had. Everyone talks to much about the Integrated reasoning and the AWA do these mean nothing? Heck I would have loved to have score much higher in the quantitative and scored lower than above average on the other sections but honestly it just wasn't my day I guess on that quantitative section. I guess I will find out in a couple days, the admissions counselor said I would have some favorable news in my email then, lets hope favorable isn't "Were sorry to regret but your quantitative score was too low to get in here, please try again" hahahah

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 am
If I may address you as officer - hopefully, that's fine with you. I'm a defense brat - so I have deep respect for armed forces. So before I get started - hats off and thank you for serving! :)

Officer - Scores arent the only thing that school looks at. I've gone through your entire thought process and what I am concerned about isn't your score...its your reasoning to go for an MBA. You've not clearly thought through why you want to go for an MBA. Just because you're active duty or veteran will not get you in. I have to be blunt about this... yes- its a plus but there is an entire thought process from long term perspective missing. I'd like you to take a step back and before you apply or write your essays/application - please think thoroughly of why are you going for an MBA. Also, if you are taking classes online - you'll need to justify how will those not hinder with your current profession and duty. Some of these things will be definitely reviewed during your selection process.

Bottomline - scores are just one aspect of your selection process. You need to have clear thought process which still seems grey to me and you need to have stellar applications and recommendations. Your recommendations will need to clearly reflect that your online MBA is approved by your immediate supervisor/reporting officer. Hopefully, you've had a sit down conversation with your supervisor. If not, I'd do it right away!

Good luck and I wish you only the best!

If you still have further questions please feel free to shoot me an email.
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm
Hey, I get it - the GMAT isn't a fun thing. Hopefully in a couple of days you hear some great news! The admissions process is a holistic assessment of your profile. You have some great things going for you - that goes without saying. Your professional experience as an officer is fantastic. My point in suggesting you retake it was simply this - you want to give the adcoms as few reasons as possible to pinpoint issues with your application. A 25th percentile in quant is something they are going to hone in with alarming speed.

Am I saying it will keep you out? No, not necessarily. But if you are able to retake the exam and correct your "off day" without additional studying, why not give it a shot? Essentially, you don't want to take anything for granted. This could be the year you're going toe to toe with an another officer with almost identical qualifications with a higher GMAT. You really don't know. Your GMAT is in your control and, if you have the time (and patience), definitely has a little room for improvement.

You have a lot of things working in your favor and if you choose not to retake the GMAT, it won't be the end of your MBA dreams by any means. But there is also no denying that a higher GMAT (and an improved Quant score specifically) will give you a pretty good boost.

I know the GMAT sucks - I was there once too :)

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by roofjp1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 am
Sophia007 wrote:If I may address you as officer - hopefully, that's fine with you. I'm a defense brat - so I have deep respect for armed forces. So before I get started - hats off and thank you for serving! :)

Officer - Scores arent the only thing that school looks at. I've gone through your entire thought process and what I am concerned about isn't your score...its your reasoning to go for an MBA. You've not clearly thought through why you want to go for an MBA. Just because you're active duty or veteran will not get you in. I have to be blunt about this... yes- its a plus but there is an entire thought process from long term perspective missing. I'd like you to take a step back and before you apply or write your essays/application - please think thoroughly of why are you going for an MBA. Also, if you are taking classes online - you'll need to justify how will those not hinder with your current profession and duty. Some of these things will be definitely reviewed during your selection process.

Bottomline - scores are just one aspect of your selection process. You need to have clear thought process which still seems grey to me and you need to have stellar applications and recommendations. Your recommendations will need to clearly reflect that your online MBA is approved by your immediate supervisor/reporting officer. Hopefully, you've had a sit down conversation with your supervisor. If not, I'd do it right away!

Good luck and I wish you only the best!

If you still have further questions please feel free to shoot me an email.

Sophia, thanks for your response. If I did not make it clear my intentions for getting an MBa I shall do it now. You have to understand one thing about the military and espescially the officer corps. The higher you go in rank the less free time you have. Currently as a senior lieutenant I am on the cusp of about 3 more years to get the mba done before I will truly not have time anymore to get it done. Its an unwritten rule among active duty officers that if you are not done with your masters degree or in my case mba by the time you take company command as a more senior Captain than you will just need to feasibly wait until you get out to get the degree when you have time. At this point you will be taking care of 200-500 personnel, and hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment with dozens of mission sets that require your full attention. I do not have the ability to get my masters of mba when I decide to get out of the Army, mainly because I have a family and I can't afford to not have an income to support them for two to three years while I go to school. There are two MAIN reasons I want the MBA with a concentration in supply chain management. I majored in Business Operations and Economics in my undergrad. I entered the Logistics field in the Army because I truly enjoy the behind the scenes aspect of the field. I want the MBA to enhance my undergrad background in business and my career experience in the supply chain logistics field in the Army. So, with that being said, now you can maybe see why I want to get my MBA done and maybe why I do not have time to take another 6 months to study the GMAT. There is one thing that military officers do and we do very well and that is plan. My five year plan has been laid out my entire career and I am reaching a point where I need to get into a program in 2014 or I may not have the ability in the future 3-4 years from now. Also, if the civilian aspirations aren't enough to warrant your prior response. After the rank of Major in the officer corps you will not go higher without a graduate degree. So with the reasoning I told you before. The huge increase in workload for me in 3-4 years. If I do not get this done now the reality of me getting it done in a few years goes down significantly. And if you are wondering why I didn't start on this process in the past its because I was deployed twice overseas in the past 4 years. Our country is going to more of a garrison stance which means less deployments and right now is the time for me to get this done, not because I am in a selfish rush, but because of my job and career it isn't feasible to wait and make slow decisions. I have o be decisive everyday at work and I have to be the same about my career.

by cdsanders » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 am
This is sort of off-topic, but I would apply to Arkansas State University as a safe choice. It is my alma mater and the online MBA program is getting some extremely high recognition as of late. The professors were also ranked #1 this past year, to the best of my knowledge. Also, they are ranked #7 in online MBA rankings, I believe. I personally know 95% of the professors in the program and know that they are EXTREMELY gifted teachers. Most of these professors have also been in talks with Penn State to better the technology and to better serve the online students. I would highly recommend checking Arkansas State University out. If you need any information, email me at [email protected].

by roofjp1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 am
Well, I guess I am glad I did not pay for the overpriced GMAT Math tutoring because I got into both Auburn and University of Florida. I guess my knack for writing good essays (as clearly obvious by my awa) as well as my resume trumped my low quant score. I think my career in the military and my Education at West Point will also trump the fact that I am not going to go to a top 10 school, not to mention the MS in Logistics I will also get in about 6 years by completing the Captain's Career Course. So thanks for all the advice either way guys, but this is one guy that is happy he will NEVER be subject to another Standardized test again and be judged on future worthiness by a computer generated torture system. And just for good measure, I wanted to say this on this site seeing as I will never ever be back, unless one day my child needs help, "Why The HELL does anyone going to business school need to know GEOMETRY!!!!" HAHAHAH LATER!