Poetry-Garlic-Renaissance

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

Poetry-Garlic-Renaissance

by 2011mbaspirant » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am
OAs to follow:
1. Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.
(A) Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.
(B) Although he is as gifted, if not more gifted, than many of his colleagues,he is extremely modest with his poetry remaining unpublished.
(C) Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than, many of his colleagues,he is extremely modest and not published his poetry.
(D) Despite his being gifted, if not more gifted than his colleagues, he is extremely modest and will not publish his poetry.
(E) Being as gifted as, or more gifted than, many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.

2. Though garlic is often associated with Italian cuisine, it is actually the use of oregano which most distinguishes the Italians from the French.
(A) which most distinguishes the Italians from the French
(B) which primarily distinguishes Italians from Frenchmen
(C) which generally serves to distinguish an Italian sauce from a French one
(D) which is the major distinction between the two great cuisines
(E) which most distinguishes Italian cookery from French

3. In the Renaissance, painters were so impressed with da Vinci that they ignored their own training and designate as a masterpiece anything he painted.
(A) were so impressed with da Vinci that they ignored
(B) were impressed with da Vinci to such an extent that they were to ignore
(C) were so impressed with da Vinci as to ignore
(D) were so impressed with da Vinci that they had to ignore
(E) were as impressed with da Vinci as to ignore

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 pm
1.С
2.D
3.C

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm
2011mbaspirant wrote:OAs to follow:
1. Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.

(A) Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.-----It disconnects the sentence as we know action should be performed by him but over here it's not clear whether he didn't publish his poetry or whether automatically the same didn't get published
(B) Although he is as gifted, if not more gifted, than many of his colleagues,he is extremely modest with his poetry remaining unpublished.
(C) Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than, many of his colleagues,he is extremely modest and not published his poetry.
(D) Despite his being gifted, if not more gifted than his colleagues, he is extremely modest and will not publish his poetry.
(E) Being as gifted as, or more gifted than, many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.

2. Though garlic is often associated with Italian cuisine, it is actually the use of oregano which most distinguishes the Italians from the French.

I don't think so that the above sentence is correctly written because comma should be before which

3. In the Renaissance, painters were so impressed with da Vinci that they ignored their own training and designate as a masterpiece anything he painted.

(A) were so impressed with da Vinci that they ignored----makes sentence unparallel
(B) were impressed with da Vinci to such an extent that they were to ignore
(C) were so impressed with da Vinci as to ignore
(D) were so impressed with da Vinci that they had to ignore
(E) were as impressed with da Vinci as to ignore----awkward bec we need something which gives reason
Last edited by aspirant2011 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:51 pm
(A) Although he is as gifted as, if not more gifted than many of his colleagues, he is extremely modest and his poetry is unpublished.
This question test idiom "as X as Y" is the correct IDIOM. I want u check the Op C again. I believe something is missing in the red part as shown above. If u break the red part in pieces, that makes no sense as i believe some verb is missing. See,

he is extremely modest -----> correct no problem
he is not published his poetry. ---> incorrect OR the other way to read is

he not published his poetry.----> incorrect as some helping verb is missing.

Otherwise only Op C is correct.

by gmat25 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm
Here the first part is talking about CUISINE' , so second part should logically talk about CUISINE's only. Drop A and B.
Op D is wrong because in second part it said b/w two, now we have info only about Italian so we don't know what's the other one, hence incorrect

Now, m highly confuse b/w Op C and Op E...see in terms of structure Op E looks good except the last part "Italian cookery from French" now i'm not sure whether we can assume that its the same as "Italian cookery from French [cookery]". Op C talks about "SAUCE" which i believe is a part of CUISINE and hence logical but the structure, " oregano serves to distinguish" looks awkward.

What's the OA for this question???

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:39 am
I have one doubt I.e is distinguish x from y the right idiom????

by gmat25 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:01 am
aspirant2011 wrote:I have one doubt I.e is distinguish x from y the right idiom????
Yes its correct...another idiom is

distinguish between x and y

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by 2011mbaspirant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 am
The OAs are:
1. C;what is wrong with the original sentence? According to me "he is extremely modest and not published his poetry." part of the sentence sounds awkward.
2. E;what is wrong with D?
3. C;what is wrong with B?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

by gmat25 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm
2011mbaspirant wrote::
2. E;what is wrong with D?
Sad, u didn't read my above explanation for Op D, anyways reposting the same here...

Op D is wrong because in second part it said b/w two, now we have info only about Italian so we don't know what's the other one, that means we are setting a comparison between one known and one unknown quantity which is wrong. If the Op D mentioned French then it might be correct. hence Op D is incorrect