plz advice me guys

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

plz advice me guys

by cooldude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:36 am
hi eric.

hopin u r the most experienced guy in the area of gmat preperation me asking u humbly for advice

eric,i m in the range of 600-650,i donn have any problem in quant other than silly mistakes

but when it comes to verbal especially sc i m horrible

i score around 28-31 question correct out of 41.in cr and rc i have accuracy of above 80% but in sc i am a dumb *ss i have accuracy of only around 60-70%.

however i read stories on sites about people and usually found score scaled upto 50 points from the star of the test

so I WANNA ASK that is it possible for me to get at >750?how much questions wld i bee needing to get a quant score of 40?i mwan how many raw correct answers out of 41?

and i scored 600-650 on crack gmat.com tests ,r they tougher or easier from real gmat?do u have any idea?

hoping for a sound advice
regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: plz advice me guys

by beatthegmat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:04 pm
cooldude wrote:hi eric.

hopin u r the most experienced guy in the area of gmat preperation me asking u humbly for advice

eric,i m in the range of 600-650,i donn have any problem in quant other than silly mistakes

but when it comes to verbal especially sc i m horrible

i score around 28-31 question correct out of 41.in cr and rc i have accuracy of above 80% but in sc i am a dumb *ss i have accuracy of only around 60-70%.

however i read stories on sites about people and usually found score scaled upto 50 points from the star of the test

so I WANNA ASK that is it possible for me to get at >750?how much questions wld i bee needing to get a quant score of 40?i mwan how many raw correct answers out of 41?

and i scored 600-650 on crack gmat.com tests ,r they tougher or easier from real gmat?do u have any idea?

hoping for a sound advice
regards
Hi cooldude:

I think that it is certainly possible for a person to do very well on the GMAT. It's not easy for most people, however, to score a 750. Please keep in mind that if you were to score a 750, you would be in the top 1% of all GMAT test takers.

It's dificult for me to tell you how many questions you must get correct to get a certain score on a GMAT section. It depends. The GMAT is a computer adaptive test, and its scoring algorithm is slightly more complicated than a regular paper test.

A good place to start your GMAT prep is by reading my blog. I studied for the GMAT on my own last year and scored a 700+; I kept a very detailed log on how I studied: https://beatthegmat.blocked

I am not familiar with Crack GMAT tests, so I can't tell you how accurately they represent the real GMAT. If you want to get a very accurate sense of how you would perform on a real GMAT, take a GMATPrep test, offered at MBA.com. This is a free software that features actual (but retired) GMAT questions. Your score from this practice test will serve as an excellent indicator of your performance on the test, if you were to take it today.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SummerSquall » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:19 pm
I have heard the Crack GMAT tests are not good...in another forum they are listed as tests to avoid. Do not confuse them with Cracking the GMAT tests, though...those are from Princeton Review and are very good.

To improve SC you really need to understand English grammar. That takes practice and good review. I would recommend getting a book called Grammar Smart. I am keeping that one after I'm done with all this mess because it's useful beyond the GMAT.

Hope that helps!

thnx for replyin

by cooldude » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:28 am
thnx to everyone for replyin!!!

but is thr who have taken both crack gmat free sample test and power prep????can he or she tell me scores plzzzzz so that i may compare?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

My puts

by aim-wsc » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:39 am
dear cooldude,
i hv been reading this thread, but dont know how come i didnt reply to this one.... :shock:
...lil dazed these days.....
OK
i had crack-gmat diag.test. so i can make some comparison.
i had a pathetic score then 540. (yeah thats my fav. no. )
in those days i used to write every test that is freely available.
it was feb 2006. & since then let me tell you, i hv improved a lot. ( of course it was well before i joined this forum :D)
My accuracy then was 50-60 % in V. :?

& i dont recommend you to compare my this score with my powerprep one...it is because i took it recently when i was almost done with preparation...i hit some 90+ % accuracy.... 8)
(so you too have a chance to improve with time) :wink:
but now i hv postponed my GMAT. will take it after Feb/March 2007...
and thats why i dont contribute to this website anymore.

but still some insights from me, i think, would be useful to you.

let me try.

i hv marked that you classified all three sections: its a good habit. ( i mean measured all sub-sections points separately)

You must understand that GMAT is a CAT so it presents you a particular question with respect to your ability to solve it.
:if you are doing good @ RC & CR your level will go up & CAT will try to ask you more difficult questions & hence will turn to SC questions. ;
At the same time if CAT finds you suck at SC it will ask you simpler questions...

it gets more complex if you dig deeper.
My advice :
* just take the test.
* give you best shot to every question

:arrow: * dont bother how many you get right/ accuracy and all.
[because: you could get different scaled score for the same raw score..
it depends, it depends on which questions you answer correctly rather than how many questions correctly. ]

go & check this interesting discussion we had....

:arrow: you wanna score 750+? fine go & check this

:arrow: on how much questions for Q 40+ : i think i hv given the answer above.

:arrow: r they tougher or easier?
:dear cooldude,
no GMAT CAT test is tougher or easier. it is us that makes it tougher and easier.
for example if you started answer correctly you will see quite tough questions....

& to make life easier read Manhattan guru Kevins series about GMAT.

if you find that its getting complex and heavier then wait for some days ...
i am building a new thread about ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT GMAT.

i hope it helps.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by stormier » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:50 pm
Hi, I took the crack-gmat test and scored a 615 (49v, 20q). It was a major disappointment. I haven't taken any other CATs. My preparations thus far have been - a review of PR cracking the GMAT book, their verbal and math warm-up questions and bins, a review of manhattan SC and some random free tests on the web.

Any feedback ? Is there a way to estimate where I would end up on the real GMAT if taken today.

How much did you score cooldude and how long and how much preparations after your crack-gmat test ?