please tell me my chances of making into mba programme

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi

I am an indian female, 30 yrs old.

I completed my masters in mathematics from India in 2002 . After that i worked for 2 yrs as a lecturer in an engineering college. After my marriage i did some volunteer teaching work and also taught at some institute.

Later in 2006 I came to US . Now i want to start my career again with an MBA programme. I tried my luck twice on gmat but unfortunately i got 640 both the times. definately a low score (29) in verbal is killing me. My GPA in masters is average 2.9 - 3.0. But it was considered good in my university . I have my masters from a good university in india.

I can only apply to HENRY B. Tippie college of management , iowa city ,, iowa because of my husband's job.

Can you plese tell me what could be my chance of selection if i put forward strong essays to overcome all my weaknesses.

thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm
Dear crackinggmat,

A strong application package, where you have components that balance each other out, will always give you the best chance. A great set of essays and strong interview can make a significant difference for an applicant whose GMAT and/or GPA might be below a school's average (but still high enough to demonstrate academic aptitude). Since you are in Iowa City, I strongly encourage you to meet with an admissions professional at Tippie regarding your situation if you have not already done so. Build a rapport and make a positive impression on the admissions staff--it will make a difference in your evaluation if the admissions committee feels they know you beyond the pieces of your application.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me