Please Suggest

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Suggest

by alay1986 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am
1) Indian Male - 24

2) Undergrad - Bachelors in Technology - First class - Topped all the 4 years of study.

3) Experience - three years of experience in IT (R&D) industry, Family business and an own business set-up.

Senior Engineer, Infosys Technologies Limited, Bangalore (9th June 2008 - 02nd November 2009):
Joined in June as a Software Trainee and then worked full-time as a Design Engineer in Aerospace Domain. Work involved designing automated tools for strain checks, optimization and analysis of a part of a composite wing panel of an aircraft wing, which involves coding in Excel, extensive 3D designing in Catia V5 (Design Software). I was involved in creating new software based on VBA which could be used in reducing the production process time and improve project execution time.

Was associated with the following initiatives and events within the company:
"¢ Involved in an initiative which creates a feeling of "belonging to the company" among the employees, by giving them an opportunity to meet the senior employees as source of inspiration.
"¢ Involved in a charity initiative which focussed on helping the differently-abled by obtaining help from fellow employees.
"¢ Member of the organising committee of an intra-department exposition.
"¢ Member of the founding committee (Marketing/Strategy team) for promoting work carried by us and to attract new clients.

General Manager, Aleron Motorsports, Hyderabad (November 2009 - Till Date):
AAM Auto is a small start-up company which provides automobile design/manufacturing solutions. We offer hybrid car conversion kits and installation. AAM Auto also develops 4-seater electric/hybrid vehicles. Till date, AAM Auto has finished converting 7 gasoline powered cars into gasoline/electric powered. My role in the company relates right from technical aspects to managerial aspect. Overall there are 14 people who are a part of this start-up venture.

Apart from the above experience, I have been involved in family business for the past 7 years. I have travelled abroad for work assignments.

Extra Curricular:
I have been actively participating in motor-racing events in my country. I help promote green drives with the help of these racing events. I have also been organizing adventure treks in and around the city I live in. (Greater Hyderabad Adventure Club).

https://meetup.ghac.in/

I am also a part of a bicycle team. We cycle our way to remote villages and provide them with clothes and things which would be useful for them. We have no proper record of where we have travelled and what we have given except for some photographs. We execute these trips once in six months.

My target schools are

Kellogg (MMM Program)
ISB, India

Also, can you suggest me B-Schools, which according to you I should have a look at considering my profile.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative, but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much for evaluating my profile.

Alay Mehta
Last edited by alay1986 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:31 pm
Hi,

Thank you for your post. Please see my comments below:

Senior Engineer, Infosys Technologies Limited, Bangalore (9th June 2008 - 02nd November 2009):
Joined in June as a Software Trainee and then worked full-time as a Design Engineer in Aerospace Domain. Work involved designing automated tools for strain checks, optimization and analysis of a part of a composite wing panel of an aircraft wing, which involves coding in Excel, extensive 3D designing in Catia V5 (Design Software). I was involved in creating new software based on VBA which could be used in reducing the production process time and improve project execution time.

• Involved in an initiative which creates a feeling of “belonging to the company� among the employees, by giving them an opportunity to meet the senior employees as source of inspiration.
• Involved in a charity initiative which focussed on helping the differently-abled by obtaining help from fellow employees.
• Member of the organising committee of an intra-department exposition.
• Member of the founding committee (Marketing/Strategy team) for promoting work carried by us and to attract new clients.

Senior Software Engineer, Honeywell , Hyderabad (7th April 2010 - 7th December 2010):
Being a part of Reliability Measurement Team in Aerospace Domain, work involves analysis of various mechanical parts and predicting their reliability using reliability tools and MS Excel and changes using CATIA. Based on results design pattern changes are made. I was involved in filing many patentable ideas in Turbo Domain, though as an additional responsibility.

• Involved in technical discussions about correcting Turbo leakage problems and altering the design of a turbocharger.
• Leading the toastmaster’s team of Honeywell Hyderabad.
• Have undergone Six-Sigma training for Green Belt Certification.

General Manager, AAM Auto, Hyderabad (8th December 2010 - Till Date):
AAM Auto is a small start-up company which provides automobile design/manufacturing solutions. We offer hybrid car conversion kits and installation. AAM Auto also develops 4-seater electric/hybrid vehicles. Till date, AAM Auto has finished converting 7 gasoline powered cars into gasoline/electric powered. My role in the company relates right from technical aspects to managerial aspect. Overall there are 14 people who are a part of this start-up venture.

Apart from the above experience, I have been involved in family business for the past 7 years. I have travelled abroad for work assignments.

You have a lot of varied work experience. While this could be viewed as as good thing given your exposure to different roles and companies, the adcom may have concerns about "job hopping." You'll want to be sure to provide a thorough reason for leaving each role as well as play up the growth opportunities you've experienced through each transition.

Extra Curricular:
I have been actively participating in motor-racing events in my country. I help promote green drives with the help of these racing events. I have also been organizing adventure treks in and around the city I live in. (Greater Hyderabad Adventure Club).

https://meetup.ghac.in/

I am also a part of a bicycle team. We cycle our way to remote villages and provide them with clothes and things which would be useful for them. We have no proper record of where we have travelled and what we have given except for some photographs. We execute these trips once in six months.

It's great that you have several activities and have taken what is clearly a strong interest in biking and made it into a social experience. Should you choose to highlight your extracurricular activities (in particular your involvment in the GHAC), you'll want to be sure to emphasize any leadership or team experiences that you can. Extracurricular activities make for great essay topics (if you have strong examples), because it take the adcom out of the office/workplace and can often make for a much more memorable story. My suggestion is to continue your involvement and step up your leadership role if possible.

4. Why MBA ?

I am interested to major in Finance/Consulting/Strategy.

I have scored 740 in GMAT. My CGPA is 3.7.

My target schools are

Kellogg (MMM Program)
INSEAD
LBS, London
ISB, India
HEC Paris
Columbia University, USA
NYU Stern, USA

You'll want to have a sound reason for making a career change and you'll also want to identify one career path - either consulting or finance. As for your GMAT score, it's right on par with other similar applicants in the applicant pool. While you can certainly be competitive for admission at the programs on your list, you'll want to find a way to distinguish your application from all the others in the very large Indian engineer applicant pool. Standing out will be the key to your success.

Regards,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.