Please Suggest

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Suggest

by alay1986 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:27 am
1) Indian Male - 24

2) Undergrad - Bachelors in Technology - First class - Topped all the 4 years of study.

3) Experience - three years of experience in IT (R&D) industry, Family business and an own business set-up.

Senior Engineer, Infosys Technologies Limited, Bangalore (9th June 2008 - 02nd November 2009):
Joined in June as a Software Trainee and then worked full-time as a Design Engineer in Aerospace Domain. Work involved designing automated tools for strain checks, optimization and analysis of a part of a composite wing panel of an aircraft wing, which involves coding in Excel, extensive 3D designing in Catia V5 (Design Software). I was involved in creating new software based on VBA which could be used in reducing the production process time and improve project execution time.

Was associated with the following initiatives and events within the company:
"¢ Involved in an initiative which creates a feeling of "belonging to the company" among the employees, by giving them an opportunity to meet the senior employees as source of inspiration.
"¢ Involved in a charity initiative which focussed on helping the differently-abled by obtaining help from fellow employees.
"¢ Member of the organising committee of an intra-department exposition.
"¢ Member of the founding committee (Marketing/Strategy team) for promoting work carried by us and to attract new clients.

General Manager, Aleron Motorsports, Hyderabad (November 2009 - Till Date):
AAM Auto is a small start-up company which provides automobile design/manufacturing solutions. We offer hybrid car conversion kits and installation. AAM Auto also develops 4-seater electric/hybrid vehicles. Till date, AAM Auto has finished converting 7 gasoline powered cars into gasoline/electric powered. My role in the company relates right from technical aspects to managerial aspect. Overall there are 14 people who are a part of this start-up venture.

Apart from the above experience, I have been involved in family business for the past 7 years. I have travelled abroad for work assignments.

Extra Curricular:
I have been actively participating in motor-racing events in my country. I help promote green drives with the help of these racing events. I have also been organizing adventure treks in and around the city I live in. (Greater Hyderabad Adventure Club).

https://meetup.ghac.in/

I am also a part of a bicycle team. We cycle our way to remote villages and provide them with clothes and things which would be useful for them. We have no proper record of where we have travelled and what we have given except for some photographs. We execute these trips once in six months.

My target schools are

Kellogg (MMM Program)
ISB, India

Also, can you suggest me B-Schools, which according to you I should have a look at considering my profile.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative, but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much for evaluating my profile.

Alay Mehta
Last edited by alay1986 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 am
Hello Alay,

You have a strong educational background and GMAt scores. Your essays will have to explain your frequent job changes. Schools will wonder why you spent only 18 moths with Infosys and 8 months with Honeywell. You will also have to show that the start-up you are working for is sufficiently complex to have exposed you to business challenges, and that you have dealt with those challenges successully.

Your extracurricular involvement, although varied, appears to show participative rather than leadership experiences. The quality of your professional references will be crucial. If they are particularly glowing, that may compensate for your frequent job changes.

You will be competing in a very tough pool. There are literally thousands of high-scoring engineers applying for a very few positions at the schools you are targeting. You should seriously consider adding a safety school or two. Look for a school that has courses that will work with your engineering background, but that accepts a third or more of its applicants rather than 15%.

I am not saying that you won't be accepted by the schools on your list, simply that it would be prudent to widen your target if you are determined to go to school next year.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by alay1986 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 am
Thanks a lot for the profile evaluation. Will surely consider your suggestions.

About the job changes; while I was working in Infy, I had got myself admitted into a Master's program in a reputed university in Germany (Motorsports Engineering). But due to the recession effect, they had shelved the program 2 weeks before it's launch. So I started a small car manufacturing unit.

It would be great if you can suggest your views on the above.

Thanks again!

Alay
Last edited by alay1986 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 am
Your explanation is very clear and should satisfy the committee. Now you need to focus on showing what you are doing at your startup.
Tani Wolff