Please rate my issue essay, thank you!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please rate my issue essay, thank you!

by hhuizeng » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:10 pm
Hello, I will have GMAT exam in one month and am preparing the AWA. I will appreciate a lot if you can have a look at the following essay and give me some feedback for improvement.

"Of all the manifestations* of power, restraint in the use of that power impresses people most."
*manifestations: apparent signs or indicators
Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience, observations, or reading.

Which kind of powers impresses people most? Nowadays there is a hot debate about it. Some people argue that restraint in the use of power is most impressive, while others hold the opposite view. As far as I am concerned, it is such a complex topic that supporting or objecting one side is too simple to deal with. In the history, we can see lots of tragedies showing us the disadvantage of letting the power unlimited, at the same time we are experiencing a business time calling on CEO to let his subordinates do things according to their opinions and judgments. Therefore, there is no absolute answer to this topic, any white or black options neglect the most critical point related to the use of the power: the degree to which the power can be used.
We are not surprise to see many examples showing negative outcome of unlimited use of power in our history. Unwilling to take charge of the daily political tasks, the King granted his subordinates the right to manipulate the whole country; as a result his subordinates took place of the old King being a new King in the empire. In the business field, the owners of a business trust their managers excessively and let them decide everything about the company, finally losing a lot of benefits. All these examples remind people that power should be restricted, and one of the direct outcome we can see in the business field is the board in every company and many regulations limiting the rights of company's agencies, in which way the shareholders keep the right to determine the significant things that related to the benefit of the companies and theirs.
However, people tend to easily act in one extreme to another extreme. To avoid the situation of unlimited use of power, people start to limit the use of power. The superiors restraint the rights of their subordinates and decide everything by themselves no matter how tiny the thing is. As a result, the efficiency is slowed down and the effects are even worse sometimes because it is impossible that the superiors are good at everything.
Based on the above analysis, two extreme are not the solutions to have things done in the best way. The most effective way is to strike a balance between restraint and unlimited. To be acting in the midpoint, just as what I mentioned above, we should consider the degree to which we let the power be executed. Take a company's daily transactions as an example, a wise CEO will decide what kind of product should be develop in next quarter with product manager and then let the manager to take charge of the things such as how to develop that product.
In conclusion, the restraint in the use power is not the most impressive style, neither the most effective one. A wise superior is who strike a balance and act smartly in knowing which kind of rights should his subordinates have and which shouldn't, instead of taking any of the two extremes.