2-3
No votes
1-2
No votes

Total votes: 0

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please rate my Essay

by koolpraps » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 am
Topic : "Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring that their products are safe. If a product injures someone, for whatever reason, the manufacturer should be held legally and financially accountable for the injury."
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above. Support your point of view with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

My essay
---------

To generalize the opinion for all Manufacturers and all their products is far-fetched. Both the manufacturers who produce a product and the cosumer who buys the same need to play their part in ensuring that the product do not cause an injury to the anyone.

Any manufacturer who uses non-standard materials , and non-standard pratices in making a product should be rightly held legally and financially accountable for the injury. But even after following the best practices , manufacturers can make the product safe only to an extent. They cannot ensure safety in cases which is beyond their control. Its a moral responsibilty of the user to use the product the way it has been designed to be used.

As an example if we consider a product say a toast maker. The manufacturer needs to play its part in ensuring that the product is as safe as possible , that it is properly encased, the wiring is insulated with standard materials and user manual is provided which documents the method of usage and any precautions that needs to be followed. If it fails in any of these and an injury occurs, the manufacturer can be hold responsible. If however the injury happens beacuse of the negligency of the user, then its only the user who should be hold responsible.

Thus i feel that holding a manufacturer legally and financially accountable for the injury caused by its product should be based on the way the injury happened and whether the manufacturer could have avoided it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by parinita » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 am
Hi,

This is an analysis of an issue essay topic. The new GMAT only tests Analysis of an Argument type of essay.