No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 0

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please rate my essay!!

by viveksingh222 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 am
The following appeared as part of an article inthe business section of a local newspaper:
"The Cumquat Cafe made a mistake in moving to a new location. After one year at the new spot, it is doing about
the same volume of business as before, but the owners of the RoboWrench plumbing supply wholesale outlet that
took over its old location are apparently doing better: RoboWrench is planning to open a store in a neighboring
city."
Discuss how well reasoned ... etc.

In the preceding statement the author claims that The Cumquat Cafe made a mistake by moving to a new location. Though his claim may well have merit, the author presents a poorly reasoned argument based on unsubstantiated premises and questionable assumptions. We cannot accept this argument as valid.

Primary issue lies in the author's comparison of two businesses which are poles apart; this comparison is at best questionable and at worst in appropriate. Furthermore author fails to provide additional information such as what was the reason due to which The Cumquat Cafe had to move from the past location; what if the drop in sales volume or high rent or any other valid reason was the cause for its action? How would the author justify his claim then.

Additionally the author made an assumption that RoboWrench's planning to open a new store in neighbouring city as an indication that it is doing better than The Camquat Cafe, however It could be equally assumed that in this city their sales are low and owners of RoboWrench might be plannig to move to the other city gradually.

Although this argument has some valid points, it should have been made more concrete by providing additional valid information such as the performance of RoboWrench plumbing before moving to the mentioned location, and by making a valid comparision though not in terms of volume of business but in terms of the factors which both businesses share in common and by which it could have been strongly proved that by moving The Cumquat Cafe had actually committed a mistake.

In sum the author presents a poorly reasoned argument based upon several questionable assumptions and unsubstantiated premises. If the author really wants to change the readers mind he would have to largely restructure his argument, reinforce it with concrete evidence, else his argument would likely convince very few people.

Friends please spare 2 min and rate my essay..and you can give advice or criticize ..I don't mind I will take them positively..So please shoot your comments.

Thank You,
Vivek.