Please Please help!!! :(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Please help!!! :(

by gingertea » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 pm
:( I took the GMAT twice. One was taken this past week and another one was in February 2009. In both cases, I wasn't scoring even a 600 and my second score was even lower than the first one. I am now devestated. What should I do now? I used Manhattan GMAT, OG and Princeton materials to prepare for the exam. I am nore sure why I am not getting a high score.

I felt that I know most of the materials in GMAT but I realized that I was rushing through the questions in the exam and wasn't able to apply any strategy I learn.

Do you think I should enroll in a class or should I get a private tutor? I am especially to know your experience with a private tutor. Your response is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Gingertea

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:24 pm
Gingertea,

What were your CAT scores like? Were you timing yourself during your studies? Maintaining a log is paramount to tracking your progression. On top of knowing the material, strategy plays an equally important role. Are you spending too much time on a single question? Are you feeling burnt out during the exam? Please give us a more in-depth overview of your study and test-taking experiences.
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

by gingertea » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:46 pm
Hi Lucretius,

Thanks for your reply and congrats on your high score.

Here's my CAT scores are:
1) Q42 V27
2) Q42 V23

I definitely need to improve both sections in order to get into the 700's. I read both Manhattan GMAT and Princeton's materials and then I went through the OG and GMAT prep questions. My way of studying is merely doing the questions. A log, as you suggested, may be a good way to start but can you let me know what exaclty do you include in the log? And yes, I was so burnt out during the exam and wasn't able to think when answering questions. I now feel so frustrated and discouraged about my failures. Do you think a prep class would help? or a private tutor?

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 am
Private Tutor is probably better.

by awesomeusername » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 am
gingertea wrote:Hi Lucretius,

Thanks for your reply and congrats on your high score.

Here's my CAT scores are:
1) Q42 V27
2) Q42 V23

I definitely need to improve both sections in order to get into the 700's. I read both Manhattan GMAT and Princeton's materials and then I went through the OG and GMAT prep questions. My way of studying is merely doing the questions. A log, as you suggested, may be a good way to start but can you let me know what exaclty do you include in the log? And yes, I was so burnt out during the exam and wasn't able to think when answering questions. I now feel so frustrated and discouraged about my failures. Do you think a prep class would help? or a private tutor?
Actually, your score is pretty balanced. But yes, you'll need to brush up on both a bit to get within reach of 700. When you say that you've read all those materials, are you really spending time on each wrong answer to really understand why you got them wrong? Are you checking the forums for different angles on how to do the problems? I've found MGMAT's explanations good, but I've found better ones on these forums. Are you timing yourself? Here's a little example of how my log looked:

-------
7/14 - Verbal Review SC # 31-60, 47 minutes total, 25/30 right, 83% right, 1.6 minute/question.

7/15 - Quant Review DS # 1-40, 50 minutes total, 33/40 right, 83% right, 1.3 minute/questions

7/16 - Verbal Review CR + 21-40, etc, etc...

-------
Do this for all Verbal Review and Quant Review questions (600 in all). I did to study the second go around and improved 80 pts. Of course, I was less nervous the second time around too. Remember, quality, not quantity! I only studied about 1-1.5 hours a day. Sometimes less. I took an MGMAT CAT once a week to see where I was going with improvement. What I would recommend is to fit all this work (MGMAT CATs and OG Review questions) within a month or so. If you'd like to see my exact schedule for studying a month before by second GMAT, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

For the answers you get wrong, write the question and answer on a flash card. Look through them from time to time to make sure you understand WHY it was wrong. Also, timing is VERY important. VERY VERY important! You must adhere to strict timing discipline if you want to be sure to beat this test.

If I hadn't received the score I wanted second time around, I was planning on contacting a private tutor. From what I hear, if you choose the right private tutor, you can see some pretty good increases in your score.

Anyway, keep at it. You're definitely 700+ material! Never give up your dream!
-Lucretius

by gingertea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:03 am
Thanks for your encouraging words.

Upon mediating and reflecting on my gmat studying strategy, I realized that I wasn't really studying but merely memorizing answers. Yes you are definitely right, I was concerning more about quantity than quality. I actually scored above 700+ for GMAT prep so I was very shocked when I received such a low score.

It will be great if you can send me your studying schedule so I know I am on track.

Also do you use any other materials for math? My weakness in math are the word problems such as speed, work and especially sets.

THANKS !!!!!!!

Gingertea

by awesomeusername » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm
gingertea wrote:Thanks for your encouraging words.

Upon mediating and reflecting on my gmat studying strategy, I realized that I wasn't really studying but merely memorizing answers. Yes you are definitely right, I was concerning more about quantity than quality. I actually scored above 700+ for GMAT prep so I was very shocked when I received such a low score.

It will be great if you can send me your studying schedule so I know I am on track.

Also do you use any other materials for math? My weakness in math are the word problems such as speed, work and especially sets.

THANKS !!!!!!!

Gingertea
Did you purchase all MGMAT math books? I know MGMAT has a word problems workbook. PM me your email address and I'll send you a scan of my month's schedule before my second test.
-Lucretius

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ezekielekata » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:32 pm
Well a private tutor might be beneficial but you need to change your study style..........
Review answer both the ones you got wrong and right.....(review the logic and how it was arrived at)
Focus on your weak areas.......
-----------------------

All things are possible to him that believes.....

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind.
To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will.
To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to move ahead"