Please help with a very low GPA

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please help with a very low GPA

by Skippy13 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm
MY GPA is around a 2.0 and I need to know if I should just give up

. I attended University in the U.K and did a 3 year business degree. My first and second year results were average and my third year results were awful. I got sick...anxiety and depression as a result of a long stay in hospital. Third year counted for 75% of my degree...so performing poorly then really hurt me.

Apart from that year, my time at university was good. Lots of sports and EC's. along with a good internship internationally.

Since graduating, I founded my own business. We've been operating for one year and currently employ three people (with many more subcontractors). Focused on the oil and gas market, we offer people, consulting services, and investment capital.

I work internationally, currently living in Singapore. I have good EC's, very active in sports etc. Ive also done extensive charity work.

GMAT is 700. Schools I am looking at are ASU, Rice, Vanderbilt, Kelley, UNC, UT@Austin, Georgetown.

I plan to work for another two years before applying.

Do I have any chance? Or is my undergrad GPA going to hold me back completely.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Monica Okrah » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am
Hi Skippy13,

The 2.0 GPA will most likely be an obstacle. Of course you can't change it, but what you can do is take several courses over the next two years to prove that you are capable of succeeding in a rigorous academic environment. Courses like calculus, statistics, finance and accounting are good options to consider. Make sure you achieve A's in the courses you take.

I'm not sure if your GMAT score is balanced across the Verbal and Quantitative categories, but if it's not, you should consider retaking the exam to achieve a higher score and/or a more balanced score.

You can also use your optional essay to explain the health challenges you faced in college and how it impacted your academic performance.

If the GPA is the only weak factor in your profile and you're able to achieve strong grades in any additional coursework, most of your target schools should be reasonable choices.

I hope this helps!
Monica Okrah, Senior Consultant
MBA Mission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider’s Guides: www.mbamission.com/store.php
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php