Please help -Choosing between PT-Kellogg and PT-UT Austin?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,
I have an admit from both. I will appreciate your feedback on deciding between the two,

* I have about 8 years experience in the semiconductor industry in the US(currently in a engineering and program management role).
* My future goal is to be in a Strategic Management role in the semiconductor industry(as a logical next step). But, I am open to the other possiilities that an MBA degree may proide.

* My options in terms of location are either US(where i am now) or India (in case I move back)

* I am local to UT Austin, but I will have to commute every weekend to Chicago for Kellogg

Based on the above datapoints, can you please provide some feedback about:

>> what in your opinion will provide the most bang for th buck long term?
>> For Pt-MBA, do you think the college ranking matters as much?
>> Since I will be doing the Saturday MBA, I will will have few options in terms of networking, attending events etc. at kellogg. However, do you think this is really not that big a deal for a PT program?

Thanks!!
Stoic74

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri May 09, 2008 9:56 am
Dear Stoic74:

Which program is best for you comes down to how you weigh the costs versus the benefits of each. The financial costs of Kellogg are obviously greater as it will require you to travel to Chicago every weekend for 2 years. That is a huge additional cost for you to bear. However, do you feel the benefit of the Kellogg name and any differences in curriculum or program are worth the additional cost? Depending on what you want to do post-MBA and where (US vs. India), do you feel there is more value to the Kellogg name versus the UT-Austin name? If you stay in the same industry, does the UT-Austin reputation and program provide you what you need, and in some ways is the better choice?

Overall, part-time programs are not designed with career services and extracurriculars like a full-time program because they are designed for working professionals looking to enhance their current career path. If you want access to those things and take advantage of any services available to you, then it seems UT-Austin might be the better choice. Either way, you need to research what career services and extracurriculars are available to you as a part-time student in both programs.

If the answer to these questions is yes, it is worth the additional costs of flying to Chicago, then make sure you can bear these costs (both financially and time) for the next two years.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by stoic74 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 pm
Hi Lisa,
Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it.