Please evaluate this poet's profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:5 members
Hi,
- African (raised in Nigeria, went to high school in the US (dual citizen)), Male, 29 years
- GMAT 680, Q-42, V-41 (retaking to raise quant to 48)
- BA 3.5 UCLA, double major in Theater and Film ( Full Academic Scholarship (1 student per year) )
Worked fulltime as a video editing instructor and manager of a multimedia lab.
While in school created a newsmagazine show that was nominated for the Student Emmys which subsequently led to being hired by MTV out of college.
- Work experience
5 years in entertainment as a VJ for MTV, and a host of various network shows. Guest starred in numerous network TV shows, and acted in films presented at Sundance and Cannes. Interviewed everyone- from Elmo to Jesse Jackson to Kanye West.
3 years till current working between Nigeria and the states, launching a family business with interests in mining (export) and clean tech (water remediation: rejuvenating land destroyed by oil spills). In charge of business strategy, and managing a team of 7.

- EC's:
Co-developed an award-winning trilogy of plays. Taught theater classes for local children.
Helped launch a cottage industry for the elderly women of my village (sewing traditional clothes to sell throughout the Nigeria)
Created a private social network for the international expat community of my village, upgrading our communication platform from email forums.

Target B-Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Booth, Columbia, Wharton, Dartmouth

Career Progression post-MBA: Short-term Consulting/finance in emerging markets. Long-term: Sub-Saharan African PE

A few questions:

1. Which B Schools should I target with my current profile?
2. Any positives / negatives associated with my age and artistic work experiences?
3. What if I was to score above 700, and not hit the 48 quant, which is most vital? (I did get A's in my quant classes in undergrad (statistics))

Let me know if u need any more info, thanks so much-

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm
Dear distgent_007,

Based on your post, you have the foundation for a competitive application to any MBA program. While a higher GMAT due to a higher quant score will certainly not hurt you, I think you will still be competitive with a quant score in the 44+ range if you did well in quant coursework at UCLA. Your professional experience, including the arts industry and entrepreneurial venture in Nigeria, are interesting and will differentiate you from the applicant pool. In essence, you will have a unique perspective and will add richness to class discussions. There are no negatives around either your age or experience, in my opinion. As for schools, you want to target schools that you feel are not only the best match for your career goals, but also the best match for you. Evaluate the programs against your own set of ranked criteria to ensure you will have the MBA experience you seek. The ones you note will certainly prepare you for your goals; only you can determine if they match you. Finally, be sure to have a mix of schools--not just top 10--on your list. While I think a top 10 program is a possibility for you (with a strong app package), there are no guarantees in MBA admissions.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:20 am
Thanks,
Ended up taking the test again last minute and scoring a 740, with a 46 quant. Still spreading out my apps and including schools outside the top 10, thanks for the advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 pm
Great news on the GMAT...congratulations on your new score! Thanks for the update and best of luck with your applications!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me