Please Evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please Evaluate my profile

by psychomath » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:22 pm
Hi,

I am an Indian working for a Giant Product Development company. I have 4 years of work experience. Here in my company I have the ownership of two modules-the only representative for the module in India. I will be travelling to Australia as part of client visit.
I have a GMAT score of a mere 650 :( + 5.5 AWA.
- Academics - 3.4/4 GPA and 95% in twelfth
- Good extra curricular - part of quiz and literary teams in college; NGO member; active member of the company's sports team.
- I am looking for a career in Operations Management and/or Marketing post-MBA. I am targetting the following schools :

US - Wisconsin School of Business ; Fisher College of Business; Purdue's Krannert Business School
UK - Manchester Business School; Cranfield; Warwick Business School; Lancaster Business School

Kindly let me know how I stand for the specified Business Schools.
I was actually planning to at GMAT another time but the deadlines are very near- I want to check how I stand in the colleges that I have mentioned above.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 am
First, your GMAT score, while not in line with the very top schools is certainly acceptable for the schools on your list. (You might want to check out Indiana; they have a great Product Management concentration.) Now you need to turn your attention to the other aspects of your application.

Your essays will be crucial. You will be in a very competitive applicant pool--people from India with technical degrees. You need to make it clear why you are different from the others in that pool. How have your assignments differed from typical product development assignments? How have you shown leadership? What can you contribute to class discussions that may offer a different perspective? A seasoned admissions consultant can help you identify strengths and themes that will make you application stand out.

Also be sure you have solid recommendations. Do not write the letters for your recommenders, but do provide them with the background they need to competently address your work history and career goals. If at all possible include your current supervisor as a recommender. It is more important to have someone who knows and believes in you than to have someone with an impressive title. The schools are looking for content, not just the signature.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by psychomath » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm
Thanks a lot for the info Tani. I thought that my GMAT score is definitely out of range for the colleges I mentioned....Good to know it is at least in range with the scores.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 am
You can check scores through US NEws or on the school websites. Remember, generally half the class will be slightly below the average. IF you can find a middle 80% reported that is a better guide. Being below that range means that only 10% of the class has scores that low. Other schools report a middle 50% which means that 25% are above and 25% below the range.
Tani Wolff