Please evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by Blast » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:12 pm
I would like to join Harvard in Sep 2010.

Nationality: French

Gmat: 650 (Q43, V38), AWA: 5.5

Work experience: 5 years in Investment Banking (M&A) at one of the biggest European Banks
I am currently based in Manhattan and was previously based in London, Hong Kong and Dubai

M&A (mainly cross-border deals)
Early promotion to Associate (after only 1.5 years)
Promotion to VP in Q1 2010
Fast career track

Extracurricular Activities:
Co-founder of a global charity

Leadership:
Trained analysts and junior associates
Leading a team of 10 professionals in the charity

Excellent recommendations from senior staff

Questions:
I do not consider re-taking the GMAT because I believe that the remaining parts will compensate my low score. Do you believe that my GMAT score is sufficient?

Do you believe that my profile is strong enough for Harvard?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm
Being French is an advantage, as there are far fewer French applicants than other countries. The committee will be more forgiving of your score since you are not a native English speaker and the lower portion of the test was on the verbal section. Harvard is a long shot for everyone, even those with near perfect qualifications. The key to Harvard is in the essays--writing a compelling case for admission that is memorable and demonstrates unique leadership. It sounds to me like you have the right stuff especially with your rapid advancement, challenging career sector (banking) and the fact you also started your own non-profit. I would consider you a viable Harvard candidate despite having a GMAT below their posted average. Remember--it's just an average--there are many outliers baked into their posted scores.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options