Please evaluate my profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by prasath » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 am
Hi,
I recently took the GMAT and scored 620. I feel this isn't a strong enough score to apply to some of the top schools. Please evaluate my profile for me to have a better idea on the application process.

Background: Srilankan/Male/27

GMAT - June 2009
Total - 620 / 72%
QA - 40 / 59%
VA- 35 / 74%
AWA - 5.5 / 55%

EDUCATION:
Manipal University (Manipal Academy of Higher Education), India
BE Biomedical Engineering
GPA - 2.6

EXPERIENCE
Working for a healthcare conglomerate and based in Colombo, Srilanka now. Job functions include providing technical support for the installed base of medical devices, mangaging turnkey projects, managing service contracts, acting as a technical consultant for all projects, training juniors from partner agents and providing support to the sales team.
International exposure - Completed bachelor's degree in India
Traveled to China on work for training.

EX-Curriculars:
-was photography club secretary, head of general coordination and logistics for technical fests and member of rotaract and literary & debate club in UG institution.
-member of toast masters international
-Chief Bulletin Editor for Lions Club, Silver City, Colombo, Srilanka
-coach preparatory school students as a community service

Languages known - English, Sinhalese (national language of Srilanka), Tamil, Hindi (basic) and currently learning French.

Could you please provide your perspective on m target school list in terms of stretch, sweet spot and safe:
Duke Fuqua, Haas, Ross, McCombs, Esade, NUS, Boston U, Sloan and Purdue. (a big dream list :D)

Will I need to retake GMAT (my first attempt i scored 560)? Will my low GPA affect the outcome?

Thanking you in advance,
Prasath.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 am
Prasath,

Thanks for your note. I worry that your low (2.6) college gpa combined with your low (620) GMAT score will make it very difficult for you to gain admission to any top business school. I strongly suggest that you retake the GMAT and aim for a score near 700. In addition, you should consider building an alternate transcript in order to offset your college gpa. I recommend courses like accounting, statistics and economics. Be sure to get A's in these subjects. If you do these two things this fall, you will be in a better position to apply to schools by the Round 2 (January) deadlines.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by prasath » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:38 am
Thanks for the response Eliot. Apologies for a late reply.