In US for the past 10 years

Undergraduation:
1999, Mechanical Engineering
Osmania University, Hyderabad India 70%

Masters:
2001, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Illinois Institute of Technology, GPA 3.5

Masters:
Dropped out, Computer Science (will this be seen as negative? should I even show this)
Wright State University, GPA 3.9
(Completed all the course work except the thesis part. I had to move because of job )

Work Exp: (all my experience has been in US)
First1 year - Couple of Internships and Co-Ops in Computer Science
Last 6 years - Technology Consultant - With a boutique consulting company (200+ people) -

Growth in the last 6 years in the company:
• Joined as Associate Consultant
• Promoted to Senior consultant 2 years later
• Promoted to Manager two years later
• Took the initiative and started a new division in the company (Off-shore operations. Generates $2 million in revenue now)
• Started the off-shore operations, moved to India temporarily for 6 months, hired staff, found office building, mentored the team members and streamlined the operations.
• Played a key role in winning couple of client deals.
• I am one of the few people in the Organization qualified to work as an instructor with SAP America. Conducted multiple training sessions at different companies including Lucent, Accenture, Department of Interior, PG&E, Pennsylvania Turnpike, and others. This is part time activity while working full-time as a consultant. This also helps the company in attracting new business.
• Has been identified as the best performer for 3 consecutive years

Entreprenurial Activities:
Along with my friend, launched a bio-diesel start-up company in India, cultivated 50,000+ acres of jathropa plantations, bought equipment, prototyped bio-diesel production and sold the company to a venture capital firm couple of years ago.

Volunteer and Extra-curricular activities:
Was an active member of Red Cross, Portland OR. Completed training for 'Shelter operations', 'Disaster readiness' etc and participated in the local club activities to increase the awareness in the community.

Registered volunteer at TiE, Silicon valley chapter.

Played a key-role in image building of my company. Initiated and spearheaded the project to create a new logo, new tag line and new website.

Played a key-role in organizing year-end company parties.

'Global Warming awareness' - Has been educating family and friends about the perils of global warming and what we can do about it and brought change in many of them. Member of 'Sierra Club' - but haven't done anything with them formally yet.

Photoshop Enthusiast: Took a couple of courses in PhotoShop and digital photography and love working with images.

Sketch Artist: Has been artistically inclined since childhood. Won many art competitions in high school.

Educated village formers: When in high school, we volunteered and participated in the Government program to educate the village formers. Government supplied books and pencils. We adapted two villages around the school and taught them basic reading and writing skills. Taught them the uses of opening bank accounts and reading news papers etc.

tennis player and avid tennis fan

skydived

mountain-biked Pikes Peak, CO.

What I am looking for
I am planning to relocate to India. I would like to work in the industry for a few years and eventually want to be an entrepreneur. It's been 10 years since I left the country and I never worked in India. I believe an MBA from a top Indian school will be really helpful in the smooth transition from US to India. Although I am in a technical field, I believe that I can easily transfer my soft skills to any industry.

Not interested in investment banking. Interested in strategy consulting, entrepreneurship. Open for other ideas too.

Looking for 1 year full-time program. Can not afford two years. Not interested in part-time programs.

Short-listed schools:
Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India

If I can not get into one of those two schools, I'll consider INSEAD, Singapore or any US or Europian Schools.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:49 pm
Dear commit.gmat,

Best of luck on your applications! I think you have a good shot at your target list if you submit a strong set of essays and recommendations as well as perform well in your interview.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me