Please evaluate my profile...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile...

by jkang » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm
dear all,

please provide me with any guidance or suggestion and point out what i may be missing. i know i'm way behind on schedule to apply for fall '09, but i am going to apply for fall '09 for Masters program in Accounting. i had to eliminate couple of schools i was considering due to lack of time and those schools were requiring prerequisite courses that i would need at least one more semester to complete before i apply.

so here's the list of schools i'm looking forward to applying with the dealines of either march or later:
- UT Austin (MPA program) - dream school considering my gpa/gmat are below their average.
- U of Rochester (MS Accountancy) - another dream school considering my gpa/gmat situation
- Fordham Univ (MBA in Public Acct)
- SMU Cox (MS in Accounting)

and here are some of the info about me:
- 3.3 Econ Major/Business Minor @ UT Austin
- 650 gmat 47Q/33V (3rd attempt and not a great score but showed improvement through those 3 exams)
- 1.5 yrs of job experience @ a small CPA office (worked as a staff accountant and main task was to file taxes for individuals & small businesses)
- 2.5 yrs of job experience @ a major semiconductor company (construction sector) as a senior accountant...dealt with more of corporate level accounting work & payroll
involved in one volunteer work per year and an extracurricular involvement throughout.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:24 pm
Dear jkang,

MS Accounting programs evaluate candidates differently than MBA programs, so I'm not sure I will be of much help to you. From what you posted, you appear to have a competitive profile for your school list. While MS programs do give much weight to your GPA and GMAT, they also care about why you want the MS and what you plan to do with it. I think you should focus your efforts on those applications, make them as strong as possible, and then see what happens.

Good luck,
LIsa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jkang » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 am
thanks for your reply! :D