Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Please evaluate my profile.

by Prajwal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:10 pm
Dear admissions consultant,
I am a doctor from India with an MBBS degree which is equivalent to
an MD from the US.
I have just graduated a month ago.
Have given my 1st GMAT a few days ago and i got a score of 730. Q49 V40.
96 percentile.
I can build on work experience in the next couple of years.
I am also confident of some strong letters of recommendation and some good essays.
However, my GPA in med school has been extremely low.In fact i have had a few back
logs as well. In India, especially in the med schools, we do not calculate GPA.
But if i have to be honest, i would say that i am in the bottom 25 percentile
of my class.
However, i have had reasonably good scores throughout high school....i am placed
comfortably above the 75th percentile.
The only honest reason for my utterly poor performance in med schools is that i was
least interested in the course and was very lazy.
However, i am very interested in starting my own business some time in the future.
I am very inclined towards getting an mba in management or entrepreneurship or finance
from the best B-schools in US.
I am also a permanent resident of the US so i wont have any visa problem.
I am only concerned about getting into Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago Booth or Oxford.
I feel that though my Gmat score is just above the median score of these schools, being an
indian male would work against me.I have heard that many Indians, depsite scores of 740 &
750 still get rejected from these premium schools due to over representation.
I was wondering if you could tell me what my chances are.(taking into account also my low med school
scores.)
Also, i am seriously considering giving my gmat again. I am very confident that i will get
a 750 or 760 the second time(at the minimum).However i am worried if those who evaluate applications to these schools would frown on more than one attempt on the gmat.In case they dont mind a second attempt, would they know that i got a reasonably good score in my first attempt or will they just look at the highest of the two.

Kindly advise on how i should proceed.
Will be waiting for your reply.Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 am
Hi, Prajwal,

Thanks for sending on your information. Business schools will look at how well you did on the GMAT and in your undergraduate/graduate programs to assess if you will be able to handle the academic rigors of their program, especially the ones you have on your list. When you have one measure (such as your med school GPA) that is not aligned, you can address that briefly and succinctly in an optional essay. Of course, you don't want to focus on being disinterested - is there another reason? As you mentioned, your GMAT is certainly within their range. Schools will see more than one score on the GMAT, but it is fine to take more than once to get your desired score. I think another big question that business schools will be asking you is "Why are you going to business school right after medical school without any experience in that field?" You want to come across as planful and not just trying out various paths. I would recommend you narrow your career goals so you have a clear plan to present. You mention you will obtain work experience in the next few years. Make sure that that experience builds a foundation for where you want your career to go in the future.

Good luck!
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Prajwal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:44 am
Hi Susan,

Thank you for evaluating my profile. I do intend to work in a field relevant to the career i plan on choosing.Hopefully everything will fall into place in a few years.
Thank you very much one again.

Prajwal.S