Please evaluate my profile and list of schools

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Here's my profile. What are my chances of getting into these programs? If my schools are unrealistic, which ones should I consider applying to? Thanks!

Reach
- MIT Sloan

Middle
- Tepper
- McCombs

Safety
- Smith

Part-Time (just want to keep my options open should my employer agree to pay for tuition):
1. Stern (Langone PT)

Basics: Male, Philippine citizen, US Permanent Resident, 30 years old by fall 2011.
GMAT: Real GMAT scheduled for June. Currently averaging 670 on Kaplan and MGMAT practice exams.

Undergrad School: Top 3 university in the Philippines
Degree/Major: BS in Management Information Systems
Undergrad GPA: 2.82 (overall), 3.38 (majors)
Low GPA Alibi: Very active in extracurriculars, including leadership positions in both business-oriented and socially-oriented organizations. As a leader in one organization, I helped develop sustainable livelihood programs for people in urban poor communities around the university. I was more interested in doing something concrete and that was my outlet. I also did an internship for a local non-profit that taught computer technology to urban poor kids and worked on their record keeping and registration database systems.

Alternative transcript: High GPA in grad school
Grad School: Major state university in New York State
Degree/Major: MS in Computer Science
Grad GPA: 3.71

Work Experience: 4 years (5 years by fall 2011)
Work Summary: After grad school, I started out as a software engineer for a major Fortune 15 technology company and worked on various internal projects. Currently at a small technology company based in New York City, with several high profile small and medium sized clients. Work with clients through all phases of engagement from requirements to support. Development lead experience on various client projects and core product releases.
Extracurriculars: Set up a internet-based IRS 501(c)3 non-profit. I'm officially the CTO and member of the board. While I wish I did spend more time developing this non-profit, it had been somewhat successful in a couple of instances. Of course, the recession happened and greatly affected it's effectiveness, in hindsight.

MBA Goal: To further my career within technology and gain knowledge and understanding of other business functions to better understand role of strategic role of technology products and services in any organization.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by Monica Okrah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:31 pm
Thanks for your question!

Your undergraduate grades are very weak, but your graduate grades are strong which is positive. You have been active outside of work which should give you an opportunity to show that you are multi-dimensional in your application. Hopefully, all will go well with the GMAT!

MIT is a reach for you, but I do think you should be competitive at Tepper/McCombs (and your safety school).
Monica Okrah, Senior Consultant
MBA Mission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider’s Guides: www.mbamission.com/store.php
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php