Please evaluate my essays... I have exam in a weeks time...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
ESSAY QUESTION:
"Poor health and high stress levels diminish the productivity of today's office workers. In order to maximize profits, companies need to provide white-collar employees with free exercise facilities and free wellness classes."

In your opinion, how accurate is the view expressed above? Use reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading to develop your position.

MY RESPONSE:
With nations becoming industrialized and with drastic changes in our lifestyle today, people are experiencing high stress levels and heath problems than it was a few centuries ago. On one hand the improvements in technology and vast research, are reducing the mortality rate, the lifstyle changes in lives of people such as work culture, stress levels at work, food habits are increasing the chances of people suffering from diseases such as heart attack. In the above statement, the author claims that poor health and high stress levels reduce the total productivity of office workers. The author suggests that the companies should provide its white collar employees with free exercise facilities and wellness classes. By taking these steps, the author suggests that the overall health and stress levels will diminish and hence will result in increased productivity and maximize the company's profits. I totally agree with the author's claim.

The primary reason for supporting his claim is that exercising will reduce the stress levels and improve health. Various health magazines and TV health shows often suggest white collar employees to atleast do exercise for half an hour a day. Companies in China have realized this and have enforced an half an hour exercise program for the company employees during the lunch hour. The Chinese company's productivity level compared to companies in other countries are way ahead. This alone should propel companies to provide free exercise facilities to its employees

Apart from exercising wellness classes will give awareness to employees about the way to handle pressure in their lives. The ever increasing demand for wellness classes in today's world cannot be challenged. In my company "Collabera", a wellness program was organized. After the program, the cheerness and the joy among the employees who attended the program increased drastically. These employed were more interested and coordinated well among each other, resulting in increased productivity and successful delivery of the project.

In sum, I would agree with the author's point that free exercise and free wellness classes should be incorporated in the day's schedule of an white-collar employee. By doing so, the company not only benifits itself but also helpts employees to keep their mind and body healthy.

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in a newspaper editorial:

"The claims of some politicians that we are on the brink of an energy crisis are misguided. We have enough oil in reserve to see us through any production shortage and the supply of in-ground oil is in no danger of running out any time soon. There is thus no need to set aside the technology and infrastructure of a century of oil-based energy."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

MY RESPONSE:
Depletion of non-renewable resources such as oil is a major topic of the world today. With industrialized nations such as USA spending even more energy than before and with developing and non-developed nations trying to match much the economy of the developed nations, oil consumption has increased drastically. In the statement above, the author claims that there is no need to be concerned over energy crisis and hence set aside the technology and infrastructure of a centruy of oil based energy. In putting forth his claim, he presents the evidence that we have enough oil in reserve and enough supply of in-ground oil. Though his claim may well have merit, the author presents a poorly reasoned argument. Based solely on the evidence the auther offers, we can't accept his argument as valid.

The primary issue with the argument lies in his unsubstantiated premises. The author simply claims that there is enough oil in reserve and enough supply of in-ground oil without giving any concrete basis such as a research result or appropriate information to support his claim. What if the oil in reserve together with in-ground oil could last for only a few decades? Without proper study or research data, the support for his conclusion appears illegitimate, rendering his conclusion unacceptable.

In addition, the author makes unwarranted assumptions. First, the author takes the present condition as the basis for his claim that the oil reserve may last for long time. If the consumption of oil increases exponentially, the oil reserve may decrease drastically. This would make the conclusion fall apart. Secondly, the author assumes a perfect world. If the oil rich countries go against the world or reduce the supply of oil to the rest of the world, energy crisis is sure to happen. The auther weakens his argument by making such assumptions.

Though there are several issues with the author's reasoning at present, with research and clarification, the author can improve his argument significantly. The auther can provide a research study to substantiate his claim that oil reserve will last for a long time. He can further provide evidence about harmony and pacts between oil rich countries such as Iraq and Iran with the other contries to support that Oil supply will always exist. Any evidence regarding finding of new oil wells which could last for centuries can further strengthen his argument.

In sum, the author's illogical argument based on unsupported premises and unsubstantiated assumptions renders the conclusion invalid. Hence the argument is likely to convince very few people.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 am
Issue Essay:

Very well-written! I think you are in good shape, essay-wise. The organization is clear, and the essay is complete. I feel that you didn't answer the question as precisely as you could: to maximize profit, businesses should have free exercise and wellness, but your two body paragraphs are EXERCISE, where you let correlation between exercise and productivity in China equal causation, and WELLNESS, where you do the same thing with your workplace wellness. To tighten up the connections, you could say things like "China's productivity/our workplace productivity has increased since adopting this new program". You imply it, but the connection is stronger if you state it. As it is, neither of your points actually addresses profitability directly.

The only other issue is the "running start" in your intros; just about every essay prompt on the GMAT could begin with a sentence like "[essay topic] is an important issue in the world today", but that doesn't mean it should. Consider diving right in and saying "I absolutely agree that health and wellness are crucial enough in the workplace that businesses would be wise to offer free classes on those subjects." You take a paragraph to rephrase the argument and say you agree, when that could be done in two sentences, allowing you that much more time to make a more detailed introduction, add another body paragraph, or flesh out the conclusion. It is good to show in the intro that you understand the argument, but you do not need to restate it at length to do so.

Argument Essay:

The main concern I have with your otherwise well-written essay is that you come down too hard on one side of the argument. Every single "Analyze an Argument" essay on the GMAT will be making some sweeping generalization or assumption; you will find yourself against every single one as written (and it's definitely not "illogical" -- you just don't have the evidence in front of you). Consider yourself a consultant for these essays; you've been handed this slip of paper, and it's your job to identify what would both strengthen and weaken it. You mention some of these things in your essay (which had great examples); I encourage you to highlight them as part of a more balanced view of this type of essay.

I think both essays would be around a 5, because your examples are solid, especially in the second one.