Please Advice which Univs should I apply to

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

My profile is as follows

GMAT 700 Q50 V33
Education B.Tech IIT Kanpur (2006 Passout)
CGPA 8.31/10

Work Ex 3 years(as on date) in IT-Consulting (Earnsten and Young), Worked in 3 different teachnologies, handled 6 clients, involved in recruitment and Business Development activities, was the solo resource for my domain in several projects

Extra Acads During B. Tech : Academic Councellor in my hostle, moderaltely involved in hostle events..no big certificates or accloades

Extra Acads Post B. Tech : Involved in the cultural activities that happen in the company,Teach People for IIT-JEE on weekends.

Please guide me which univs out of top 20 should i apply to..?

In which univs do i stand a chance of selection..?

Also please advice which things should I emphasize in my application and how should i make my application look unique.

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:30 pm
Hi Akshsay,

Thanks for you post. Can you share your short and long term goals with me? This will help me identify which programs might be a good fit for you.

Thanks,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Short and Long term goals

by akshay1010 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm
Hi stacey thanks for your response

Right now I have the profile of a technical consultant in a consulting firm.

My short term goal is to handle the position of a project manager (heading a team of 8-10 people to complete the project as efficiently as possible withing the given deadlines)in my current consulting firm.

My long term goal is to become the director of a consulting firm, who takes important decisions such as which new technologies to invest in, which new practice to set up etc.

Thanks
Akshay

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 am
Hi,

It sounds to me like you need a solid general management program. Tuck, Haas, Darden, and Fuqua all offer great programs. Some of these schools are ranked in the top 10 while some in the top 20. It's nice to balance your applications by applying to several "reach" programs as well as other top 20-30 programs.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Short List of Schools

by akshay1010 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:59 am
Hi Stacey

Thanks a lot for your time and attention

One more request, I would like to make....

My profile

B. Tech Civil Engg IIT Kanpur (Indian Institue of Technology)

GMAT 700 Q50 V33

CGPA 8.31/10 equivalent to 3.3/4
among top 5 in my class (class size 30)

Little bit of extra acads at both college and job level nothing outstanding or mind-blowing

Work Ex (as on date) 3 years in SAP consulting (worked on projects related to 3 technolgies...a good point of diversification)

Career Goals : Stay in this consulting field and take senior manager/director level positions

Please tell me which of the top 20 schools give a lesser weightage to Extra Acads, more weightage to consulting work-ex and undergraduate grades, and less weightate to a mediocre score in Verbal section of GMAT.(english has always been a cause of trouble for me)

As I can see the schools that satisfy the above critera are the ones where I can stand a chance.

Thanks and Regards
Akshay

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 pm
Hi,

All three components (academics, work experience, and extracurricular activities) are important to all business schools. Clearly not everyone is solid in all three areas. I am unable to list a programs that might be more forgiving in one area as opposed to another, because it essentially comes down to how you are able to compensate for a weakness in one area by excelling in another. I can tell you that it is quite rare for an applicant to be solid in all 3 areas. Your goal should be to highlight your strengths while downplaying your weaker areas.

I hope this helps.

Stacey

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]