pirating

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

pirating

by crazy4gmat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 am
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.
(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: pirating

by iamcste » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 am
crazy4gmat wrote:While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.
(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

C

Some "Propose", Others " Suggest" and still others" call" are parallel

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 am
IMO C or E.

I think both are parallel.

Whats the OA?
Last edited by parallel_chase on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the Wicked....

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 am
D for me, between D and E. the 'are' at the end of E didn't fit well with me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by VodkaBoy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:41 am
D) is my answer.

A) is out, because in the second clause there is no verb to make parallel structure with the first clause.
While some propose to combat ... others by suggesting something DO WHAT?"
B) is out for the second clause makes no sence. "...others by suggesting something to decrease ..., and (to) still others CALL for for the prosecution..." They call for the prosecution by sujjesting s.t.? <- wrong
C) is out first of all because "for decreasing" is not parallel to "still others", and second of all because "to decrease" is preferred to "for decreasing", if we want to show purpose of some action.
D) is OK! Everything is parallel here. "While some propose to combat ... illegal copying ... by doing s.t., others suggest the reduction of s.t. to decrease s.t., and still others by doing s.t."
E) "are calling" is awkward and makes no sence... We need to put "by calling"

Best regards! It was nice sentence!

Legendary Member

by iamcste » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm
Dont you think " The reduction of" is wordy over "reducing"

I think E looks good..given that between C, D and E all show some kind of parallelism

by EricLien9122 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:20 pm
....some propose....others suggest.....and others call.....

IMO, C.

by VodkaBoy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:29 pm
iamcste wrote:Dont you think " The reduction of" is wordy over "reducing"

I think E looks good..given that between C, D and E all show some kind of parallelism
Agreed! "the reduction of" is not so good. The correct preposition is "reduction IN", moreover I think that the correct usage of "suggest" is either "suggest doing s.t." or "suggest that s.t. be done", or at least "suggest that s.b. do s.t." but not the "suggest the reduction...".
However, I think that E) is severely damaged by the "are calling", b'coz I cant' find proper noun for "ARE" in this clause. If it is "others", then we have "others suggest ... and are calling" - mess with paralellism.

Does anybody know the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:49 pm
While some propose to combat......others suggest to decrease......and still others are calling

are - linking verb is required to connect the subject with action verb

present participle - calling modifies the subject in the preceding clause.

IMO C is wrong - "for decreasing"

If C had "to decrease" - I think then C would have been better.

Any thoughts.

BTW OA-E.
No rest for the Wicked....

by VodkaBoy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 pm
parallel_chase wrote:While some propose to combat......others suggest to decrease......and still others are calling

are - linking verb is required to connect the subject with action verb

present participle - calling modifies the subject in the preceding clause.

IMO C is wrong - "for decreasing"

If C had "to decrease" - I think then C would have been better.

Any thoughts.
oops, I overlooked the word "others" before the "are calling" in E) :shock: I'm so silly!
Thanks!
Ok, then E) is better option of course!
As for C), i think "reduction IN" is also needed rather than "reduction OF"

GMAT Score:660

by crazy4gmat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 am
OA is E