Picking Up number

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Picking Up number

by Soumita Ghosh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm
Ten years ago, Dorothy deposited a certain amount of money in account A at 3% simple annual interest rate. At the same time, Marla deposited another amount in account B at 4% simple annual interest rate. If there were no withdrawals or deposits during the ten years since the deposits, is the current interest in A greater than that in B?

(1) The amount invested in A was $1000 more than that invested in B.

(2) The investment in account A obtained an interest of $300 last year.

A)statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked;
B)statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked;
C)BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked;
D)EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked;
E)statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

Can anyone know how to pick number for this question.??Is there any strategy for picking number so that I can use it in future.

when I am picking principal for account B $1000 then current interest in A greater than that in B.

When I am picking principal for account B $10000 then current interest in B greater than that in A.

How I will understand I have to try with number $10000 instead of trying with $5000 after trying with $1000?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Soumita Ghosh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 pm
This is just a continuation of above question.

For statement 1

when I am picking principal for account B $1000 then current interest in A greater than that in B.

When I am picking principal for account B $10000 then current interest in B greater than that in A.

How I will understand I have to try next with number $10000 instead of trying with $5000 after trying with $1000?

OA C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 am
Soumita Ghosh wrote:Ten years ago, Dorothy deposited a certain amount of money in account A at 3% simple annual interest rate. At the same time, Marla deposited another amount in account B at 4% simple annual interest rate. If there were no withdrawals or deposits during the ten years since the deposits, is the current interest in A greater than that in B?

(1) The amount invested in A was $1000 more than that invested in B.

(2) The investment in account A obtained an interest of $300 last year.
Let A = the amount invested in A and B = the amount invested in B.
We need to know whether 3% of A (the annual interest earned by A) is greater than 4% of B (the annual interest earned by B):
3A > 4B
A > (4/3)B.

Question stem rephrased: Is A > (4/3)B?

Statement 1: The amount invested in A was $1000 more than that invested in B.
Try EXTREMES.

Case 1: B = .01, A = 1000.01
In this case, the 1000 difference between A and B is clearly MORE than (1/3)B.
Thus, A > (4/3)B.

Case 2: B = 10^100, A = 10^100 + 1000.
In this case, the 1000 difference between A and B is clearly LESS than (1/3)B.
Thus, A < (4/3)B.

Statement 2: The investment in account A obtained an interest of $300 last year.
No information about B.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
The information in statement 2 is sufficient to determine the value of A.
According to statement 1, B is $1000 less than A.
Since both values can be determined, we have sufficient information to calculate whether A > (4/3)B.

The correct answer is C.

The question stem asks for the RATIO of two values: whether A > (4/3)B.
Statement 1 gives the DIFFERENCE between the two values.

An important take-away:
The DIFFERENCE between two values is NOT sufficient information to determine the RATIO of the two values.
The reverse is also true:
The RATIO of two values is NOT sufficient information to determine the DIFFERENCE between the two values.

If we understand this take-away, we can see -- immediately, without plugging in values -- that statement 1 here is not information to answer the question stem.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3