Personal statement Vs Essay

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Personal statement Vs Essay

by sangeethai » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:51 pm
Hi,
I just want to know what the B- schools like to look in the personal statement part of the application. The essay I have chosen is about Proffessional Sucess, so that kind of explains my strengths etc.

Can I say why I chose the school and why i would be a good candidate?. Any hel will be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Sangeetha.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:19 am
Dear Sangeetha:

The answer to all of your questions is yes. Your personal statement should include why you are applying to the school and why you are a good candidate. Your professional successes, strengths and unique attributes should all be communicated as evidence of your candidacy.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thanks for your prompt reply

by sangeethai » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 am
Hi Lisa,
First of all Thanks for your prompt reply. I got confused and just read the school's application process. I was working on the essays and simultaneously on the online application. I thought the personal statement was additional space to provide more detail about myself but on further reading through the website I found that, on the online application the personal statement is actually where my essay goes.

Now since my essay is about proff success can I try and incorporate other details like explaning why my undergrad GPA is low and my answers to why I need to do an MBA now and particulary why the specific school. Will it look odd and out place in my essay given the topic, or should I just write another optional essay?. Thanks.

Regards,
sangeetha.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Dear Sangeetha:

It is generally best to use the optional essay to address any perceived weakness in your application, like GPA or wanting to enter the program with less than 4 years of professional experience. Usually there is an essay question that incorporates the "why MBA, why now" questions. If the school does not ask for that in an essay, then I would encourage you to include it in an optional essay.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me