Performance in Verbal Score in Practice Tests

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi to all,
I want to share a thing and have suggestion from you all. From the past three months, I am consistently practicing for GMAT. However, as compared to the first sample test which I gave before starting my preparation, my quant score has improved but verbal not. Also, whenever I practice from OG, maximum times I get my answers correct for verbal. But in practice test, my answers are becoming wrong. Also, due to this, my motivation level is getting decreased and that I really don't want. Please tell me how to improve myself. The latest I scored in one of the MGMAT practice test in verbal is 18. I am studying CR from OG and Powerscore CR. Similarly, SC from OG and RC from Aristotle RC 99. Also, please tell me how to increase my speed in test, as always I run out of time. In 3 practice tests, I was able to attempt only 30-33 questions in 75 minutes.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 am
Hi tusharkhatri123,

It sounds like you've been self-studying with just books. Have you used any other study materials (a Course, Class or Tutor)?

Verbal Scaled Scores at the level you've mentioned imply a number of problem areas. First, you're probably "guessing" on a lot of questions because you don't know the proper tactics to find the correct answer. Second, on CR and RC questions, you're probably not taking enough notes (or taking the notes that you need to answer the question correctly). Third, you know some grammar, but you don't know enough to pick up all of the available SC points.

The pacing problem you've described is the result of all of the other problems. By fixing those other problems, your pacing will improve. I highly recommend that you invest in a GMAT Course; it should provide you all of the tactics/advice you need, so that you can practice correctly and improve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]