Penalty for rushing at the end

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:750

Penalty for rushing at the end

by zuleron » Mon May 18, 2009 6:12 am
I recall reading somewhere that GMAC was going to add a penalty for rushing towards the end. So, for example, if the computer saw that you answered the last 5 questions in 1 minute or sth = 20 seconds per question, you would get a penalty for that because it would know you didn't pace yourself properly. Does anyone know anything about this?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by joostinshu » Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 am
I think that rumor is simply bogus. If you guess on the last 5 or so problems you are already being punished by having a 20% expected value for each question.

Why is this even a valid question? You should never be in a position to guess on the last 5 questions.

by zuleron » Mon May 18, 2009 7:38 am
I was only using 5 as an example. You can pick any numbers you like.

BTW lots of people with very high scores end up having to guess up to 5 questions at the end

Also, suppose you guessed the last 5 and got them all correct. clearly the computer would know that you guessed and so it is reasonable that your true ability should be lower than the score yu got by guessing correctly the last 5 so why is it unreasonable to dock you a few points. I'm not saying that it does and i'm not suggesting how much it would if it did. I am only saying that theoretically it is reasonable for the test to punish you for not pacing yourself properly.

GMAT Score:720

by wgrau » Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 am
I read something similar, only in this case GMAC was going to add retinal tracking equipment to track your eye movements. They want to determine who is using process of elimination as a test-taking technique and penalize them for not working out each problem using every possible answer. They are also testing seat sensors for the chairs to determine if someone is pulling something out of their a$$ during the AWA. I think I read this in Jackass Quarterly. :lol:

Seriously, how the heck would they determine whether someone guesses or not? I don't agree with your assertion that the computer would "clearly" know that there would be guessing involved in a situation where one answers 5 questions in a minute. Is it likely? Yes, but certainly not clear. How would it determine this?

GMAC tracks how long each individual takes to answer the question correctly or incorrectly. But even with that information there will be wide discrepancies in the time used, from very low to very high. They could use this possibly to see if someone falls under the expected time range. But this assumes they can determine whether the numbers used to determine this range is free of guessers' times, or geniuses' times, or those who thought they knew the answer but didn't and just stumbled upon the right one. HOW WOULD THEY DETERMINE THIS?

This idea also throws in a degree of subjectivity into a standardized test. How to determine how much of a penalty to assign a supposed guesser who gets an item correct? I would contend that this issue, even more than the actual mechanics of identifying guessers, would be the single strongest reason to reject any such proposal.

by zuleron » Mon May 18, 2009 11:23 am
Dude, there is no need to be rude.

I was making a point about pacing. And the example I gave was just that -- a hypothetical example using "guessing" in order to illustrate a point about pacing possibly being one of the things the exams tests. So, if you have 5 Q left with one minute, then CLEARLY you did NOT pace yourself properly. And why shouldn't they penalize that if they want... that should be an easy parameter to add to the algorithm.

But I will try find the article I read... and sorry, it was not in jackass... jackass is waaay too advanced for me.

by wgrau » Mon May 18, 2009 5:08 pm
My apologies. I re-read my post and realized that it was a bit rude and not in the nature of the forum.

I was attempting humor, and it came out incorrectly.

Sorry. :(

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 pm
Yeah, I saw that rumor - it's definitely not true. There is no penalty for moving quickly at the end of the test - beyond the fact that you probably won't get the right answer! I actually used this as an April Fool's Day joke in my GMAT class last month... it went over really well, as you can imagine. :)
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by zuleron » Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 am
wgrau wrote:My apologies. I re-read my post and realized that it was a bit rude and not in the nature of the forum.

I was attempting humor, and it came out incorrectly.

Sorry. :(
Not a problem! :)

by zuleron » Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 am
VP_Jim wrote:Yeah, I saw that rumor - it's definitely not true. There is no penalty for moving quickly at the end of the test - beyond the fact that you probably won't get the right answer! I actually used this as an April Fool's Day joke in my GMAT class last month... it went over really well, as you can imagine. :)
Thanks for clearing it up! GMATers are a species prone to conspiracy theories and rumormongering, so it id great to have insiders to clear things up. Again, thanks.

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:30 am
wgrau,

I must say that although your comment was rude, I found it very funny. It actually made me laugh out loud at work. So you did accomplish your goal of being humorous. Just thought that I would add that.

by PAB2706 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 am
yes..wgrau your post was rude for the one who posted it but for others it was hilarious...

i am specially attempting to comment on this bcos i just had a big fight with my Gf before coming home and was not in a good mood but after reading your post i just bursted laughing...

cheers!!!

by zuleron » Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 am
wgrau wrote: They are also testing seat sensors for the chairs to determine if someone is pulling something out of their a$$ during the AWA. :lol:
Actually, i have to admit the seat senso bit is funny!

by wgrau » Tue May 19, 2009 8:14 am
Thanks for the feedback on the humor! I'll make sure I send Conan a copy of my resume. Should I forgo B-school and attempt a career at pithy humor?

Z - thanks for accepting the apology. I did mean it and wish you the best with your GMAT plans and applications.

by zuleron » Tue May 19, 2009 10:47 am
Wgrau: Congrats on your score and I will be looking for you either at Goldman Sachs or on Comedy Central...

According to JEff Sackman of GMAT Hacks in NYC, there IS a penalty for rushing at the end.

https://www.gmathacks.com/cat-strategy/h ... tions.html

see the section about penalties...