Parallelism - Can we have active & passive voice in para

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been the forming of bricks our of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid in the wall in mud mortar.

A. the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or
sun drying, they are laid

B. forming the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

C. having bricks formed from mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they were laid.

D. to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

E. that bricks were formed from mud or clay, which, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, were laid

OA is D

This is an OG problem - OG11. The explanation states that there is no need to alternate the verb phrases between active /passive. So can I have correct answers where in the first half is active voice and the second half is in passive voice. Structurally would they still be parallel. Are there any OG examples you are aware of?

Thanks
gmatrant
A kudos or thanks would do great if my answer has helped you :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 am
@gmatrant,
Yes active voice can be parallel to passive voice if the context of the sentence requires. Please read the post below for Official Examples demonstrating the same.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/can-active-v ... 57043.html

Happy Learning!

Payal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hutch27 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am
good question i wouldn't have noticed it was passive voice, only noticed the parallelism. but thats why i chose the right answer b/c its the only one thats really parallel