Parallel Structure

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Parallel Structure

by DamianDavila » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:00 pm
However much our nation's officials may argue that they have found a solution to the national deficit and that they can halt inflation, there is no quick fix, and any real chance for economic stability will necessarily take time, compromise, and sacrifice.

(A) However much our nation's elected officials may argue that
(B) However much our nation's elected officials argue
(C) Although our nation's elected officials may argue
(D) Although our nation's elected officials argue
(E) Even though our nation's elected officials agree that

ANSWER: [spoiler]A

In this case we are dealing with a question that is testing our knowledge of parallel structure.
The parallel structure is created by the use of the first "and": that they have found a solution to the national deficit and that they can halt inflation.
Given that the second part after the "and" begins with "that they" and that the underlined part does not include "they", we can deduce that the correct answer choice has to end in that.
We eliminate answer choices B, C, and D.

Most people will be confused by "however much". This is a correct. "Much" is used for uncountable nouns (e.g. water). Since we are discussing about how MUCH scientists agree, we know that we cannot count how much they agree. Answer choice (A) is correct because it correctly conveys the complete meaning of the sentence. "However much officials may agree that they have found a solution......., there is no quick fix..."

Answer choice A is correct.[/spoiler]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm
Hi DamianDavila,

Since you've posted an SC with an entire explanation, I'm curious about what you'd like to know that the explanation didn't provide?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by DamianDavila » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm
Hi Rich,

I posted the question and answer because I didn't see this question in the forum.
I thought that having this question might be useful for users.

Cheers,

Damian

[email protected] wrote:Hi DamianDavila,

Since you've posted an SC with an entire explanation, I'm curious about what you'd like to know that the explanation didn't provide?

Rich

by DamianDavila » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:28 pm
Hi Rich,

I posted the question and answer because I didn't see this question in the forum.
I thought that having this question might be useful for users.

Cheers,

Damian

[email protected] wrote:Hi DamianDavila,

Rich