paradox

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

paradox

by rahul_tgsp » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:33 pm
The average level of fat in the blood of people suffering from acute cases of disease W is lower than the average level for the population as a whole. Nevertheless, most doctors believe that reducing blood-fat levels is an effective way of preventing acute W.
Which one of the following, if true, does most to justify this apparently paradoxical belief?
(A) The blood level of fat for patients who have been cured of W is on average the same as that for the population at large.
(B) Several of the symptoms characteristic of acute W have been produced in laboratory animals fed large doses of a synthetic fat substitute, though acute W itself has not been produced in this way.
(C) The progression from latent to acute W can occur only when the agent that causes acute W absorbs large quantities of fat from the patient's blood.
(D) The levels of fat in the blood of patients who have disease W respond abnormally slowly to changes in dietary intake of fat.
(E) High levels of fat in the blood are indicative of several diseases that are just as serious as W.

OA later....alligator

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 pm
IMO C.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 am
The average level of fat in the blood of people suffering from acute cases of disease W is lower than the average level for the population as a whole. Nevertheless, most doctors believe that reducing blood-fat levels is an effective way of preventing acute W.

Summary:

Acute W causes the level of fat in blood to lower than normal.
Doctors recommend to maintain lower level of fat in blood to prevent W.

Which one of the following, if true, does most to justify this apparently paradoxical belief?

After I read the argument I felt that the answer must fill the gap between the lower rates of fat levels during W (as an effect) and lower levels of fat (as a preventive measure).

Scanning the answer choices ..

(A) The blood level of fat for patients who have been cured of W is on average the same as that for the population at large.

The above marked two things makes me assume that this option is out of context since we are not discussing the effects after cure. Thus NO.

(B) Several of the symptoms characteristic of acute W have been produced in laboratory animals fed large doses of a synthetic fat substitute, though acute W itself has not been produced in this way.

Though symptoms are produced we are not sure what caused symptoms but it is definitely not disease W. Thus NO.

(C) The progression from latent to acute W can occur only when the agent that causes acute W absorbs large quantities of fat from the patient's blood.

This somewhere fits into my assumption that higher levels of fat cause the agent to suck the extra fat which inturn results to the disease W as an side effect simultaneously reducing the average level of fat in blood.

(D) The levels of fat in the blood of patients who have disease W respond abnormally slowly to changes in dietary intake of fat.

Out of scope since the diet is not discussed in argument.

(E) High levels of fat in the blood are indicative of several diseases that are just as serious as W.

Out of scope since seriousnes of disease W is compared with various diseases.

Guys, please correct my thought process and ways to improve it are always welcome.
Regards,

Pranay