Paint on a new airliner

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Paint on a new airliner

by GMATsid2016 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 am
Paint on a new airliner is usually applied in two stages: first, a coat of primer, and then
a top coat. A new process requires no primer, but instead uses two layers of the same
newly developed coating, with each layer of the new coating having the same
thickness and weight as a traditional top coat. Using this new process instead of the
old process increases the price of a new aircraft considerably.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that it is in an airline's long-term
economic interest to purchase new airliners painted using the new process rather than
the old process?

A. Although most new airliners are still painted using the old process. aircraft
manufacturers now offer a purchaser of any new airliner the option of having it
painted using the new process instead.
B. A layer of primer on an airliner weighs more than a layer of the new coating
would by an amount large enough to make a difference to that airliner's loadbearing
capacity.
C. A single layer of the new coating provides the aluminum skin of the airliner with
less protection against corrosion than does a layer of primer of the usual
thickness.
D. Unlike the old process, the new process was originally invented for use on
spacecraft, which are subject to extremes of temperature to which airliners are
never exposed.
E. Because the new coating has a viscosity similar to that of a traditional top coat,
aircraft manufacturers can apply it using the same equipment as is used for a
traditional top coat.

OAB

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:51 pm
GMATsid2016 wrote:Paint on a new airliner is usually applied in two stages: first, a coat of primer, and then
a top coat. A new process requires no primer, but instead uses two layers of the same
newly developed coating, with each layer of the new coating having the same
thickness and weight as a traditional top coat. Using this new process instead of the
old process increases the price of a new aircraft considerably.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that it is in an airline's long-term
economic interest to purchase new airliners painted using the new process rather than
the old process?

A. Although most new airliners are still painted using the old process. aircraft
manufacturers now offer a purchaser of any new airliner the option of having it
painted using the new process instead.
B. A layer of primer on an airliner weighs more than a layer of the new coating
would by an amount large enough to make a difference to that airliner's loadbearing
capacity.
C. A single layer of the new coating provides the aluminum skin of the airliner with
less protection against corrosion than does a layer of primer of the usual
thickness.
D. Unlike the old process, the new process was originally invented for use on
spacecraft, which are subject to extremes of temperature to which airliners are
never exposed.
E. Because the new coating has a viscosity similar to that of a traditional top coat,
aircraft manufacturers can apply it using the same equipment as is used for a
traditional top coat.
To show that it is in an airline's long-term economic interest to purchase new airliners painted using the new process, the correct answer must show an ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE to these airliners that will offset the increased cost of these airliners.

B: A layer of primer on an airliner weighs more than a layer of the new coating would by an amount large enough to make a difference to that airliner's loadbearing capacity.
Implication:
Because the coating used in the new process is lighter, airliners painted with the new process will be able to bear heavier loads -- a clear ECONOMIC ADVANTAGE to these airliners, despite their increased cost.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3