overlap

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

overlap

by resilient » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 am
At airport z, 40 % of the airplanes are domesticaly owned, 50 percent of the airplanes have been in service at least 2 years. If 30% of th eplanes with atleast 2 years service are long distance carriers, how many of the airplanes that have been in service at least 2 years are long distance carriers?

1. exacty 200 of the airplanes are domestically owned.

2. of the iarcraft with less than 2 years of service, 40 percent are long distance carriers.

qa is a:

I answered this by stepping back and looking at the situation and realizing that if I had a total number to validate my matrix chart (poorly set up) I will be able to explain the answer. However, can someone show me how to set this up with a matrix chart?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by xeqtr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:37 am
Let me try mate:

edit: sorry the formatting was not like I typed, so I put it in excel, pls have a look at it.

This is what is given in the problem. So once you know the total number of domestic planes, you'll find out total number of planes, then the half is the planes with at least 2 years in service, and its %30 is what you look for. hope it helps ;)
Attachments
Kitap1.xls
(17 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Legendary Member

ok

by resilient » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 pm
thank you. THese questions are very easy once you know how to set up the charts! thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by xeqtr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:30 pm
I think probably your main problem with setting up the chart was to put domestically owned and long distance carriers to the same category..yes from the problem it may not seem reasonable..but that's the only way to solve this problem, unless you are given an option like that information is not enough to solve it :)

Legendary Member

ok

by resilient » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 pm
in other words dont get too creative and just make the chart exactly the way they tell you. It seems when try tin infer something it usually gets me in trouble!