Out of hope, luck, and options - Please advise!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Folks,

Been a reader of this forum for some time now. I'm finally writing this because I need some real good advice/guidance..and I know I’m at the right place.

Back in April of this year I took the GMAT and scored below the national average. I was nowhere near prepared as I thought I was. After that, I got back up and tried again. I have taken the MGMAT class, studied wisely for 2 hours a night and 4+ on the weekends - trying to nail down foundations in Math and Verbal CR (I've got a good grasp of SC now.)
I have taken 6 practice exams (MGMAT and 2 GMATPrep) thus far and despite all the effort I have never ever broken a score above 530. Shameful? Yes, I know. Yesterday I took GMATPrep and got the same exact score as when I took the real exam back in April!

I use to get really really nervous when taking the exam, but I have learned to stay calm...and I'm getting much better at keeping it cool when I start the exam. I thought this would help solve the problem...but it seems like I have some other problem and I feel like I'm out of options and hope. Despite practicing problems, timing, and staying calm - I can't even break the national average (and this is after 6 months of real studying!!)

I'm not sure if I should just cut my losses and forget about gmat and b-school or continue to "waste time" and keep going? I understand sometimes people are just not cut out for certain things..I'm just wondering if this is my thing...I just feel extremely unintelligent beyond belief….because after working hard taken classes..6 months later still can’t get it seems pretty pitiful to me. Also, if I’m not cut out to at least score average..then I’m not too sure what I’m really cut out for.

Just wondering if anyone has some honest advice (don’t worry I won’t take offense to anything).

Thank you!

by hpbeatthegmat » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:01 pm
Anyone?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:480

by jeenashiva » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:44 pm
First of all, take a break from the preparation for at least a week.

Looks like you are doing the same mistake again and again. Try to find out what you are doing wrong and why it is not working for you. Then try to correct it.

Don't loose hope. Try again with completly new approach and you will succeed.

All the Best.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chase4meg » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:09 am
I know it can be extremely frustrating if you don’t see an improvement or change in your score. But let’s face it, I would suggest you do the following –

1.Start afresh - Take a break for a week or two. Don’t think about GMAT. You can probably go for a vacation or do something that doesn’t remind you about the exam!

2.Take a GMAT Prep/Any Diagnostic test (Probably reinstall the software, its ok if you find repeated questions - just take the exam)

3.Analyze your performance, don’t fret – Identify if you need improvement in Quant/Verbal or both. I am sure there is a repeated mistake/pattern you can identify from your scores. Find this pattern.

4.Complete OG – Go through all the explanations (even for the ones you got right) and make sure you understand the basics.

5.Work on your weak areas – Get access to new material (you can find loads of it online), try to use different strategies, read a lot of posts and test experiences – This is a great forum and you can find a lot of useful tips here.

6.Do this for a month and take a full length exam again – See if there is any improvement. I am sure there will be! ;)

Don’t panic – Remember, GMAT is a mind game. Don’t bother about the score or let your mind wander while taking the exam. Just focus on the question.

I am sure you can nail it! All the best!

you will nail it......

by illbeback11 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 am
friend,

i have just posted my shameful display of 520....... i was getting 630-660 in gpreps.

We cannot give up ......... we will not give up, we will come back strong and crack it this time ........ i might be speaking out of emotion at this point of time but trust me we will make it .........

we cannot let one 3 digit figure decide our aspirations and goals..... we have our dreams ..... we will not just forget out dreams because this score says so ............

NO WAY ........... we will make it ......... whatever it takes .... cheers mate
PS: ignore the cliché .... but idea is original :)
Last edited by illbeback11 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 pm
Moved to strategy section.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school