Ordering of answers

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Ordering of answers

by AurobindoSaha » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:45 pm
This might be a repeated question in this forum, but I could not find similar post in my 5 minutes search before posting this question.

Questions: Are the answers in PS arranged in some order of values? Like smallest to largest or largest to smallest?

Reason for asking the question: Please refer to Kaplan GMAT premier 2010-2011 edition Page 383 Back solving approach - its mention there - " You want to back solve systematically, not randomly. Start wit either (B) or (D). If the one you pick isn't correct , you will often be able to figure out whether you need to try a number that's larger or one that's smaller. Since the answers will be in ascending or descending order you will be able to eliminate several answers at once"

Thanks in advance.
Thanks
Aurobindo

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by amising6 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:58 pm
AurobindoSaha wrote:This might be a repeated question in this forum, but I could not find similar post in my 5 minutes search before posting this question.

Questions: Are the answers in PS arranged in some order of values? Like smallest to largest or largest to smallest?

Reason for asking the question: Please refer to Kaplan GMAT premier 2010-2011 edition Page 383 Back solving approach - its mention there - " You want to back solve systematically, not randomly. Start wit either (B) or (D). If the one you pick isn't correct , you will often be able to figure out whether you need to try a number that's larger or one that's smaller. Since the answers will be in ascending or descending order you will be able to eliminate several answers at once"

Thanks in advance.
what all this prep institute say that mostly the answer are D or E.so when you want to solve any question using option you better start with D or E
Ideation without execution is delusion

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AurobindoSaha » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:04 pm
Hi amising6,

There has to be a logical reason for suggesting that. The rationale that Kaplan gives is out of A, B, C, D, E if you hit B or D first you can 40% chance of knowing the right answer after only 1 try. You can guess if the value is more than the choice you are trying with.

I find no reason to start trying with E. That leave room either to be E or less that E with leave me back with 4 choices.

I am not talking about wild guessing here. I am talking about systematic guessing.

Also, my original question was - are the answers in PS arranged in ascending or descending order as claimed by Kaplan?
Thanks
Aurobindo