One week to go for real GMAT--Any tips or advices

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am giving my GMAT on 25th Oct. I am scoring consistently 690-710 in GMAT Prep tests. My verbal score is pulling my overall score down to below 700 mark. My test scores are as follows:

GMAT Prep 1 = 710 (Q48, V37)
GMAT Prep 2 = 650 (Q48, V30)
GMAT Prep 1 retake = 690 (Q48, V35)
GMAT Prep 2 retake = 700 (Q50, V35)

In verbal, I have noticed I am scoring consistently low in SC, even though I have read all SC guides. Have done OG12 twice, OG10 twice. Any advice as to what should i do now to improve my SC in last week of preparation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 pm
Sentence Correction is a process of elimination. You do not choose an answer because it is correct, but rather because it is not as bad as the other choices.

Are you focusing on the differences between the answer choices themselves?

Are you sifting through the sentence and skipping over modifiers and prepositions?

Despite the amount of technical language you often see posted on the sentence correction discussion board - the GMAT does not really test grammar - but rather decision making. In sentence correction you are given too many words, too much information, most of it is not necessary.

Don't accept the sentence that they give you. Take it apart and make it your own. Look past the prepositions as if they were not there, ignore modifiers that are properly placed. Focus in on the differences in the answer choices and the portions of the rest of the sentence that allow you to make those choices. The one sure way to be confused with sentence correction is to take the sentence that they give you. Make it your own instead!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:19 pm
Very interesting insight and perspective, David! Thanks!
Yep.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rehandossani » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 pm
Thanks a lot David for an interesting insight. I have noticed that when i was practicing sentence correction questions from OG, errors were quite apparent in the problems but in GMAT Prep, it became very difficult to point out errors and jump to the right answer. Thanks for the tip. I will try using the method of elimination and see how it works.