One week countdown and score is getting worse

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

One week countdown and score is getting worse

by kap » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm
I've been studying for over three months now and was aiming for a 700, though at this point I'm not sure I'm capable of that and would settle for a high 600. I took a practice test mid February to gauge my progress and scored a 660 on the GMAT prep software, that was my first real test ever. Then I took a MGMAT and got a 580 after bombing a math section and not getting to the last 10 questions. I took a Kaplan and scored a 660 at the end of February. Then I went on vacation for a week in march and took another Kaplan when I came back and scored a 630 (I adjust that to a 660 though because the timer got jammed and ate up all my time on the verbal, which is where my score decreased and likely would've been a 660 again had that not happened).

I just took a practice test one week from my actual test date. I scored a 600 on the GMAT prep #2 test. I was devastated. Should I postpone my test to study more?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm
That really depends on what you can achieve by postponing. Do you have additional material to prepare? Also, what are the materials that you have been using so far?

Can you also analyze your tests? Are you consistently having issues with the same sub topic ? If yes, then you should try and prep more.

If you see that you are just screwing up easy questions cos with careless mistakes, then it is just a matter of holding your nerve. Just keep faith in yourself and give the test. I have always found differences in my home preps and the actual GMAT I took. A matter of nerves. :(

But if you think by postponing will help you prepare some specific topics, I say Better late for a good score than never.

All the best! You can do it!
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by kap » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 am
I think you are right about the nerves. I went through my test and quite a few of the mistakes were careless errors. Most of the other questions were ones that I could do once the timer was off. I didn't feel nervous taking the test though, I was calm in the comfort of my own home. Some of the questions I can do but just not in the alloted time. My timing was really off for verbal and I usually finish that section right on time. I've definitely pinpointed my weaknesses based on my error tracking log from the OG as well as all of my practice tests. Is it just practice practice practice at this point to get my timing down and my confidence up?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 am
Since your Powerprep scores were 600 and 660, I think it's safe to expect a score in that range on the actual test. There ARE definitely ways to take a 600+ score to a 700+ score, but it requires a lot of effort. In fact, if you aren't going to be satisfied with less than a 700, I actually would recommend you postpone the test.

The "I Beat the GMAT" section is full of those stories of how students broke the 700 and 750 barrier. https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-just-beat- ... t-f15.html

You'll have to decide whether another 1-2 months of intense study is really worth those extra 50-100 points.

If you DO decide to take the test on your test date, I think reviewing your error logs and your old material and continuing to build your confidence is key. It sounds like you've made a LOT of progress! Don't let the "pre-test panic" ruin the experience for you. Trust in the work you've done. :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by kap » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 am
Thanks for all the advice! I ended up just taking the test since I was already within the 7 day period and couldn't postpone it without just canceling it all together. I ended up scoring a 700! I was very happy with my results and happy to say that I won't be retaking it. : )

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:14 am
Congrats on the 700!!! You should add your story to the "I Just Beat the GMAT!" section :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by moatik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:18 am
If you don't mind me asking, how did you combat the nervousness? I am going to take my test this friday and I am terrified because my last couple of CATs were downward trending. I think its nerves, and being calm. Also how similar were the questions from the prep to the actual exam?

by kap » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 am
Get a massage! I rarely ever get a massage so it was a special treat for me. I left work early and had a 60 minute massage. After that, I was so relaxed. I went home and slept like a baby. Really helped me calm down and focus. The day before the exam, don't let yourself think about the exam. Just put it out of your mind. I actually just went to work becaue I knew if I took the day off I'd sit at home and either stress or try to study.

On the day of the exam, I literally just kept telling myself, I know the material, I just need to play this mental game. I'm ready. I'm ready. You really just have to talk to yourself and pump yourself up. I experienced a surprising calm before the exam because by that point, it was just like what will be, will be. It's not the end of the world.

I felt like the prep was a pretty good indicator of the types of questions. Though for me, clearly not a good indicator of my final score. I think you have to mentally prepare though. It's not just about the prepping for the material. Prep for the mental side of the exam. Visualize the difficult questions you're going to get and picture yourself not panicing.
Just go in knowing... yes, there are going to be difficult quant questions... I know this... so no reason to freak out becaue I'm totally expecting this. Go in knowing... yes, there are going to be horribly boring reading prompts, but I'm excited to read them! And in the moment, I'll have so much adrenaline pumping that I'll be uber focused. They're going to be tough, but no problem because I'm expecting it!

I wouldn't worry about your scores downtrending. It's not about the practice exams. It's about your performance on the actual test day. If you feel confident that you know most of the material, it's just playing the mental game from there in my opinion.

I posted to the beat the gmat forum too if you're interested in reading more of my story
https://www.beatthegmat.com/there-s-stil ... tml#356533