• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

One legacy of Madison Avenue's

This topic has 4 expert replies and 2 member replies

One legacy of Madison Avenue's

Post
One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the realization that as a person ages, their concerns change as well.

a)the realization that as a person ages, their

b)the realization that as people age, their

c)to realize that when a person ages, his or her

d)to realize that when people age, their

e)realizing that as people age, their


what's the catch in this question? I didn't get why B is correct and C/D are wrong.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Top Reply
Post
Mo2men wrote:
Dear GMATguru,

1- Is 'as' the same as 'when'? should not both have the same meaning?
Generally, a when-clause refers to an action performed at a particular moment:
When Mary entered the room, John smiled.
Here, the usage of when implies that the action in blue happened at a particular moment.
An as-clause refers to an action performed over an extended period of time:
Adam sang as he typed.
Here, the usage of as implies that the action in blue happened over an extended period of time.
In the SC above, PEOPLE AGE not at a particular moment but over an extended period of time, so the usage of when is inappropriate.

Quote:
2- Here, 'the legacy ........is the realization'. Both nouns are parallel.
but in some sentence we say 'my goal is to get a degree' here goal is not parallel to degree, hat is the difference between both sentences?
Generally, an infinitive (to + VERB) expresses an INTENDED action -- an action that has not yet been performed.
In the SC above, one legacy is the RESULT of a past event (the recent campaign).
C and D: One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign is to realize.
Here, a RESULT (one legacy) is equated to AN ACTION THAT HAS NOT YET BEEN PERFORMED (to realize).
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C and D.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
vishalwin wrote:
One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the realization that as a person ages, their concerns change as well.

a)the realization that as a person ages, their

b)the realization that as people age, their

c)to realize that when a person ages, his or her

d)to realize that when people age, their

e)realizing that as people age, their
In A, their (plural) does not agree with person (singular).

C: when a person ages
D: when people age
These options imply that there are particular moments WHEN PEOPLE AGE.
This meaning is nonsensical.
People are ALWAYS aging; they do not age only at particular moments.
Eliminate C and D.

E: One legacy...is realizing that as people age, their concerns change.
Here, is realizing seems to serve as a VERB, with one legacy as its subject.
The resulting meaning is nonsensical: that one legacy IS REALIZING a general truth about people.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is E.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined
11 Nov 2011
Posted:
2278 messages
Followed by:
265 members
Upvotes:
660
GMAT Score:
770
Post
If you trim some of the words you will get the following:


One Legacy .... is ......


The legacy will not be a verb, but rather a noun. In this case 'the realization'

_________________
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
18 Sep 2015
Posted:
274 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
12
Test Date:
Oct 2016
Target GMAT Score:
750
GMAT Score:
530
Post
hi,

I didn't get why we want a noun (realization).

It seems to be some standard rule(see example below) that I read in book but didn't understood this.

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please explain this part.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
vishalwin wrote:
hi,

I didn't get why we want a noun (realization).

It seems to be some standard rule(see example below) that I read in book but didn't understood this.

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please explain this part.
A gerund is a VERBing serving as a NOUN.
Generally, a gerund serves to refer to the PROCESS of performing the VERBing action.
The bouquet was a giving of love.
Here, giving serves to refer to the PROCESS of giving.
The conveyed meaning -- that the BOUQUET was a PROCESS -- is nonsensical.

The intended meaning is that the bouquet was WHAT WAS GIVEN.
In other words, the bouquet was a GIFT.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
25 Sep 2015
Posted:
687 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
14
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
vishalwin wrote:
One legacy of Madison Avenue's recent campaign to appeal to people fifty years old and over is the realization that as a person ages, their concerns change as well.

a)the realization that as a person ages, their

b)the realization that as people age, their

c)to realize that when a person ages, his or her

d)to realize that when people age, their

e)realizing that as people age, their
In A, their (plural) does not agree with person (singular).

C: when a person ages
D: when people age
These options imply that there are particular moments WHEN PEOPLE AGE.
This meaning is nonsensical.
People are ALWAYS aging; they do not age only at particular moments.
Eliminate C and D.

E: One legacy...is realizing that as people age, their concerns change.
Here, is realizing seems to serve as a VERB, with one legacy as its subject.
The resulting meaning is nonsensical: that one legacy IS REALIZING a general truth about people.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is E.
Dear GMATguru,

1- Is 'as' the same as 'when'? should not both have the same meaning?

2- Here, 'the legacy ........is the realization'. Both nouns are parallel.
but in some sentence we say 'my goal is to get a degree' here goal is not parallel to degree, hat is the difference between both sentences?

Thanks

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep

Top First Responders*

1 Brent@GMATPrepNow 43 first replies
2 Ian Stewart 35 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 32 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 27 first replies
5 Scott@TargetTestPrep 13 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

189 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

90 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

75 posts
4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

44 posts
5 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

42 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts