• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives

This topic has 2 expert replies and 1 member reply

On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives

Post

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Difficult



On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70 percent will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55 percent of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45 percent prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. What is the highest possible number of sales representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer?

A. 51
B. 52
C. 53
D. 54
E. 55

The OA is A.

Please, can anyone explain this PS question? I can't get the correct answer, I got 42 but this isn't the correct answer . I need help. Thanks.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Top Reply
Post
Hi swerve,

We're told that 30% of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70% will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55% of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45% prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. We're asked for the highest possible number of sales representatives that were NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer. While this prompt is "thick" with data, the math involved isn't too bad (you just have to stay organized and label your work).

The first sentence gives us data about the number of reps (out of 60) who will stay at each hotel:

Hotel XYZ = (.30)(60) = 18 reps
Hotel ABC = the rest = 42 reps

Next, we're told about the PREFERENCES of the reps

Hotel XYZ = (.55)(60) = 33 reps PREFER to stay at this hotel
Hotel ABC = (.45)(60) = 27 reps PREFER to stay at this hotel

From this, we can clearly see that some of the reps (at least 15) who want to stay at XYZ will NOT get what they want because there are not enough spots. We're asked for the MAXIMUM number of reps who would NOT be assigned to the hotel that they prefer....

Here, we're limited by the number of reps who COULD stay at each hotel.
There are only 18 'reservations' at Hotel XYZ, so we can shift 18 reps from ABC to XYZ (making 18 reps who DON'T get what they want).
Next, we can put the remaining 42 people in ABC (making 33 reps who DON'T get what they want and 9 who DO).

Total reps who DON'T get what they want = 18+33 = 51

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Post
swerve wrote:
On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70 percent will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55 percent of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45 percent prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. What is the highest possible number of sales representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer?

A. 51
B. 52
C. 53
D. 54
E. 55
We see that 0.3 x 60 = 18 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ, and the remaining 60 - 18 = 42 will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, we see that 0.55 x 60 = 33 sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 60 - 33 = 27 prefer to stay at Hotel ABC.

Since we want to determine the highest possible number of sales representatives not given accommodations at the hotel they prefer, we can assume 33 of the 42 representatives who are given accommodations at Hotel ABC prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ. So only 9 representatives are given the accommodations at the hotel they prefer.

For the 18 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ, we can assume that none of them are given the accommodations at the hotel they prefer.

So the highest possible number of sales representatives not given accommodations at the hotel they prefer is 60 - 9 = 51.

Answer: A

_________________
Scott Woodbury-Stewart Founder and CEO

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
10 Nov 2010
Posted:
7 messages
Post
swerve wrote:
On a business trip, 30 percent of 60 sales representatives will be given accommodations at Hotel XYZ and the remaining 70 percent will be given accommodations at Hotel ABC. However, 55 percent of the sales representatives prefer to stay at Hotel XYZ and 45 percent prefer to stay at Hotel ABC. What is the highest possible number of sales representatives NOT given accommodations at the hotel they prefer?

A. 51
B. 52
C. 53
D. 54
E. 55

The OA is A.

Please, can anyone explain this PS question? I can't get the correct answer, I got 42 but this isn't the correct answer . I need help. Thanks.
Let's assume that the number of reps is 100 and find the max percentage as required. That way, we can find the actual number at the end and save ourselves a ton of calculations.
All below figures are in percentages:
30 will be accommodated in XYZ. Say all of them are out of 45 who want ABC. The leftover 15 who want ABC will need to be given ABC.
The 55 who want XYZ then will all be given ABC.

Hence only 15% get what they want and 85% do not get what they want in this case.
85% of 60 = (17/20)*60 = 51

Answer (A)

_________________
Karishma
Private Tutor for GMAT
Contact: bansal.karishma@gmail.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

Top First Responders*

1 GMATGuruNY 56 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 43 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 43 first replies
4 Ian Stewart 31 first replies
5 ceilidh.erickson 15 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

217 posts
2 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

124 posts
3 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

89 posts
4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

82 posts
5 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

66 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts