Older Applicant: Which Schools are Simply OUT?: Expert Reply

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello there,

First of all, I want to say that I appreciate any feedback on this post.

Secondly, I want to add that I am currently in the process of studying for my GMAT. So, that presents a problem.

I recently spoke with an admissions consultant who told me that some schools simply do not accept students that are above their average (in respect to age).

I am 30 years old, with a different type of work background. I currently work for the Navy, but I have had some wide and varied experience. I would like to effectively tell my story with my essays, but this is where I am currently at an impasse.

I am very interested in CA based schools (UCLA, Berkeley) and foreign schools: ESADE, IESE, LBS, and HEC Paris. My job has a heavy international focus, so I felt these schools would find that appealing.

My question is this: Could you take a month and write essays? I want to focus all energies on my GMAT studies, but I do want good essays. I tutored English writing in college, and I do have a proficiency with essays. However, I definitely do not want to put myself at an impasse.

ALSO - does anyone know of a good admissions consultant? I am searching for a competent, polite, and friendly professional that will motivate (not DEMOTIVATE) me during this process.

Thank you!

-A

by ReachingHigher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:34 am
If someone could respond to this, it would be great!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by southbaynic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 am
With respect to age, I will be 29 when classes start next fall, so this is something I was looking at as well. UCLA and Berkeley trend a bit older - one of my UCLA friends said he went to many 30th birthday parties in B-school. So I don't think you're by any means automatically too old for either of those schools, though you will be a bit on the older side. I can't speak to the international ones though.

As for the essays, are you talking about getting them done for all 6 schools you mentioned in a month? I hate to use the word impossible...but I think it's pretty unrealistic. I also think that even if you could technically get it done, the quality would suffer, since it really is an introspective process. When writing mine, I write a bit, think things over for a few days, and come back to the essays with a fresher perspective. In a month, you're not going to have the luxury of doing that for 6 schools. I'd rank the schools in order of preference, start at the top of the list and see how far you get. I think 3 schools in a month would also be very tough, but a much more realistic goal.

by ReachingHigher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 pm
Hello there,

Yes, I did indeed think about this. I believe that I may amend this strategy - and start now.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it immensely.

I did speak to some of the students at UCLA...they did tell me that 30 would not be too old. Much more comforting to hear!

Angie

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nychivas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 am
Hi. I have also heard that there is a disadvantage to being an older applicant. I will turn 34 in 2011 and have 10 years of continuous experience. I am also in an non-traditional field; Architecture/Engineering. I think the key is knowing what your goals are and knowing what you need to get there....then figuring out how to exprese it in a way that is positive.

PS: I am looking into IE, INSEAD, Columbia, NYU & Wharton....Good luck